ZX10R replacing exhaust---Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Default ZX10R replacing exhaust---Help

Looking for info about exhaust. Thinking of putting a Muzzy or Akropivch full Ti pipe on. What happens to low and mid range power without buterfly valve?

Old 04-05-2005, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ZX10R replacing exhaust---Help

I'm sure the manufacture has designed the pipe better that the stocker..

usually with most pips you lose a little of you bottom end anyway [:@]

Old 05-28-2005, 03:27 PM

WELL THE ONLY REASON YOU WOULD LOOSE POWER IS IF YOU JUST PUT A SLIP-ON PIPE ON YOUR FACTORY HEADERS AND JETS. IM A MECHANIC OS 10 YEARS AND I KNOW FOR A FACT IF YOU USE A MUZZY (WHAT I HAVE ON MY BIKE) PIPE AND EXHAUST PLUS JET YOUR BIKE. YOU WILL HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS YOU GET MORE POWER PLUS A MEAN *** RUMBLE.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 AM

NOS been looking at the muzzys system. very tempting.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

To be honest, I am not sure. Have read that the butterfly valve was to help in meeting the emisions/noise requirements. Have not read much on what else it actually does or how.
ORIGINAL: crash972

Looking for info about exhaust. Thinking of putting a Muzzy or Akropivch full Ti pipe on. What happens to low and mid range power without buterfly valve?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the correct answer to your question bro; removing the butterfly valve and installing a full system will result in a hp gain at the top end and a loose of hp on the low to mid range.

Most street riders do most of there ridding at the low to mid range and not a lot at the top end.

If installing the full system you will have to add a power commander to adjust the air fuel mixture or you will run to lean and damage your motor.

To regain the low and mid range you can adjust your sprockets, I run -1 front and +2 in the rear. When you do this, you will loose the top end speed, example if your bike used to top ou at 180 after the sprocket change it will top out at 165.

Who really rides at 180 very often any way. What you will gain is a very quick off the line and hard excel through the mid range. Also makes the front end very easy to wheelie.

Bottom line the manufacture put the butterfly valve in your bike to make sure that the bike has sufficient compression to operate in the low and mid range.

Do not get me wrong I have the full system and love it but you have to consider all the extras that come with it and the lose of top end speed after installing it with a sprocket change. There are many sprocket combinations as well.

Hope this helps, later.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

So basically I was correct with the butterfly valve. I did not place the noise issue/reading until after thinking about the modulation of the back pressure. I understand the back pressure/timing/rpm issues but I am stymied with how would the modulating butterfly valve be a bad thing in the top end? I mean, two strokes have used them for years. Well, many versions anyhow. Usually there are 3 things why people change out exhaust systems. Where in the powerband do you want the power, weight savings, or looks. If the system does have tapered head pipes with no wall for any back pressure, ie: the cylinder port matches the header and you have a fast flowing muffler. I would think that a modulating butterfly valve would prove beneficial. I know that a bike only has so much room so will not go into the lengths of the headers, that kind of thing.

Ok, I will be posting a question concerning ECU's Notstock. So will need your info with that one also. You made a good point when you mentioned it.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

Bring it lol.

Yea alot of people do not understand the benefits of the butter fly valve and the lose when you remove it. I would have to say that if I were to buy a new bike today and just planed on ridding it on the street I would just get a slipon. The slip on would avoid the expense of a full system and all the extras that come with it.

Maybe easier said than done with my moding addiction. Dam now I need to go to a meeting. M A

Shoot I am just lying, I would be buying all the most expensive stuff ASAP.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A good point. I do not have this ride just yet so have no dimensions to go by. So I winged it some. I now have some drawings to see if things will work or not. The size and material used is unknown at this time. I too am an adict in playing with a ride.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome, my name is Mike and it's been 14 days since my last mod

Quick Reply: ZX10R replacing exhaust---Help