Started basic tear down

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default Started basic tear down

Took the stock body work off today, placed my champ sliders and the attack rear sets on and also started fitting the glass. Took longer than I thought to even get this far. Of course having a 4yr old help out does tend to slow me down some.

Name:  Trackprep001.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  Trackprep011.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  Trackprep009.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  96.6 KB

I know the ride is dirty after my snow cruise last weekend. I still have not saftey wired yet. Just trying things on before painting.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Started basic tear down

Keeps the pix coming as you go along. This will make for an interesting how to for future projects on mine....

Old 02-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Did U decide on an exhuast yet? Also saw the penski setup, is it closer to the chain than the stock one? I know a couple of times ive let my chain go just a little loose and it has nicked the edge of the resivior( I think thats what it is...not versed in shocks). It may have more to do with the 2mm washer I installed to raise the rear ride hieght. And I had to wind the preload adjuster down fairly far to get my sag right.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Here's pics of what im talking about, I used tiny pic so u could see them full size. http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=4e0acmb http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=29ktkee
Dont know if u have ever seen this before.....I havn't.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

A buddy of mine has an '06 R1 he uses for track days. He has Sharkskins on it. He says it takes him 4-5 hours to put the street plastics back on.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

There is plenty of room and there will be no nicks unless you possibly toss a chain. The stainless hose can be seen in the second pic and would suspect that getting hit by a broken chain. I have not witnessed a nicked resevoir until now. Think I had 500 miles on my ride when I swapped out both front and rear suspension components.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I have decided to run the stock exhaust and stock rims. Ran out of dollars but the dollars that were spent were towards being able to ride her fast not really in making more hp/tq.(well did upgrade my gear while I was at it) I am sure that you can understand that decision.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

A buddy of mine has an '06 R1 he uses for track days. He has Sharkskins on it. He says it takes him 4-5 hours to put the street plastics back on.
That is a long time. I really do not plan hitting the streets again, but I still have my stock parts if there is another Vegas run or another KF get together.
I had ordered the sharkskins and waited over 3 months with a no show so found a set that were used in an endurance run still in great condition.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:11 PM

I know what mean, upgrading my gear this year also. Havn't been to the track yet, would like to at some point this year. I dont believe adding hp's is needed even for the track, suspension would have been my 1st thing if mine was a track bike. I doubt you could need much more power than this bike already has. Did u like the stock ride hieght or did u adjust sag and ride hieght before u rode it?

Old 02-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I did not adjust sags with the stock suspension. Was busy breaking her in and learning some of the power characteristics of the ride. Frickin wheelie machine with stock setup. I normally swap out suspension along with lines and pads, so I may have done too much too soon. Ride height does get better with the sag settings as you know. Right now the ride is pretty planted now with the sags and correct springs. Still get some stand ups but not as bad. This info is of course with 120/70 and 190/50 Qualifiers.

Quick Reply: Started basic tear down