Wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Default Wheelie?

Hey guys, I've had my '07 650 for about a year. Was wondering if anyone has tips for gettin up on one wheel. I'll i;ve been able to do is a few inches under very hard acceleration. I'm not trying to stunt it out but once in a while would be fun. Does the bike have enough power? Any tips? thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wheelie?

welcome to KF. you could change the sprockets for more low end.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 AM

I found that first gear is the only gear that works (the only gear I could get to work nevertheless). Here is what you do:

get your bike up to 8K RPM, immediately let go of the throttle, and then open throttle. I've gotten my front end up quite a bit. Be careful, because you don't want to land too hard and you can easily dump your bike doing this.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:52 AM

I do first and second gear wheelies all the time. First gear, 6K then blip the throttle and you will be up. Second gear is alittle more tricky because your going 35 mph or so. As you are riding along, pull in the clutch, hit about 6.5K and then drop the clutch while gasin it. You will be up in no time. I can ride a wheelie for a block easy in second and its much more fun. If you are nervous, take it slow though. Don't try a second gear unless you are very comfortable with the bike. First gear is cake walk imo. Powering them up is very easy, I still have a stock sprocket and like I said, I have no problem in either gear getting it up. Just pull with throttle and there you go. Find your balance point and take it. They're are tons of right ups out there onhow to do what I explained in much more detail. Also if you're bike is not broke in yet, which I noticed after 2500 miles, it gets much easier. Either that or I just got more brave. :P

Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks guys. I'll give that a shot let you know how it goes... Or maybe i wont if it goes real ****ty.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Power is not an issue for bikes to get up on one wheel. Check out YouTube and all those huge Harley beasts popping wheelies.

Our bike does not have the overall power to what is called "rolling up" to a wheelie. This way is done by just hard acceleartion (WOT). The inline fours have no problem performing this but the 650R does from less power from our fabulous parallel twin.

To get up any bike you have to "feather" the clutch. Just like mentioned earlier, get going on a roll hold the clutch down, give some throttle to get some high revs, and feather the clutch out (don't drop the clutch cause it will yank and you could lose control).

Using the second method is easy. A 75cc dirt bike is highly capable of pulling one wheel because of this method. So when your thinking of wheelies don't think what bike is required, just think how its done.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 AM

also thrust your own weight BACK. cant do a fast wheelie in 1st , try second. Its all about popin dat clutch.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SXGT

also thrust your own weight BACK. cant do a fast wheelie in 1st , try second. Its all about popin dat clutch.
I would not recommend this suggestion. Let the bike do all the work and keep your body in a position to control the bike. You might give it to much throttleand if your pulling on the bike....well the bike is going to fall on you!

You want to be in position that if that if your going to far back on one wheel that you can let go of the throttle and use your body weight to push back so the front will go down THE RIGHT WAY!

Just a word of advice.