What's wrong with the 650R??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Default What's wrong with the 650R??

I started looking at the sport bikes for a second bike because I wanted something to ride besides my cruiser and really like the riding position of the 650R. I haven't ridden one yet but sitting on one seems comfortable. It seems that there are a fair amount of them out there for sale but they all seem to have very low miles. That makes me wonder what's the deal with them? My perception is that people buy them and don't like them. I'm an experienced rider having ridden for almost 40 years and while loving something like a R6 or bigger I don't care for the bent over seating position. I also haven't ridden anything but an R6 and I only rode it for about 30 minutes. Can you enlighten me on the real story? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF.

I do not own a 650, I am however enjoying the feel of the 500. The 650 has newer looks with added power. I think that most riders are using the 650 as a beginners bike then trading up or realizing that the cruiser style suits them better. Enjoy your reading material in here and again, welcome to KF.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

In the States a lot of riders treat the 650 as a sports bike - a weekend toy, if you like.

It isn't. It's a budget all rounder meant for commuting and as a lightweight tourer. It's also good fun on twisty roads. I'm a low mileage rider myself these days - about 7K annually, but I ride the bike most days for commuting in all weathers and I've done a few 400 - 500 mile per day rides with no problems. I bought it expecting to do about double the mileage I now do, but got relocated soon after. I expected it to be good for 15K a year and see no reason why it shouldn't be.

There's nothing wrong with the bike, but that's not the case with a lot of the riders. A lot of them are new riders and are disappointed when they realise that it won't beat a 600 SS bike. On the other hand, they are still alive to be disappointed.

I'm like you - over 40 years riding all kinds of bikes. I've just decided that it isn't worth paying for a shed load of power that you can't really lay down on the road. THe 650 suits me and it's fast enough not to be boring.

Rob

Last edited by williamr; 06-15-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM

Rob, thanks for the reply. I have typically been a cruiser bike rider for the last 10 or so years and I'm having the itch to ride a sport bike and I like the seating position of the 650R. I rode a R6 a couple of years ago and walked away thinking "I could kill myself on one of these". I just sold my Ultra Classic a few weeks ago and am waiting for the 2010 Road Glide to come out and I'm going crazy not having a two wheeler. I figure I'll pick one of these up used for a few grand and if I don't like it I can always sell it. I'm going tonight to look at one I found on Craigslist and if I like how it rides I'm pulling the trigger. Who knows, I might just keep it and have my quick bike and my big fat cruiser. My wife will love that. I told her I would sell it later but if I get a good enough deal who knows. I keep telling her this will help with my midlife crisis and I need to get this out of my system.

Jeff

Old 06-16-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aztecking
I started looking at the sport bikes for a second bike because I wanted something to ride besides my cruiser and really like the riding position of the 650R. I haven't ridden one yet but sitting on one seems comfortable. It seems that there are a fair amount of them out there for sale but they all seem to have very low miles. That makes me wonder what's the deal with them? My perception is that people buy them and don't like them. I'm an experienced rider having ridden for almost 40 years and while loving something like a R6 or bigger I don't care for the bent over seating position. I also haven't ridden anything but an R6 and I only rode it for about 30 minutes. Can you enlighten me on the real story? Thanks for the help.
Welcome to the KF Family!!!
I know that some people start off on that bike and it scares them because there is too much power for them and then theres the group where the bike doesn't perform like a sports bike...I had a local rider pick up a new 650 and tricked it all out...first time he came around a corner too it scared the $h1t out of him and he sold it the next day!!! the 650 is a great bike for probably what you are lookin' for...

Last edited by Odimus; 06-16-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 AM

I test rode the 650R tonight and I would describe my ride on the bike as not very comfortable because I felt like I was too upright and never felt one with the bike. It's hard to describe. While impressed with the handling and power I felt like I was riding a bike that might be too small for me. I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs. with short legs (32" inseam) and a long torso so the bike felt small. I'm looking for something that has maybe a little more power and a little bigger overall size. I don't need a lot more power just something I feel more comfortable on. I would like something with a wider seat so it doesn't feel like I'm riding on a dirt bike seat. Any suggestions?

Jeff

Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

There are alot of comments on the handlebar position it seems. Too upright for many of the people who have tried out the 650. You could always try out the 88 ninja era stuff like the Ninja 750. I averaged 17k/year on that one and I could touch the ground with my short legs (same inseam). I know, older bike, just throwing the idea out there.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

There are several choices of handlebar that will probably sort out the riding position. As I said, it isn't really a sportsbike and doesn't have sportsbike style bars. It is a lot more comfortable though, if you do long journeys.

I use the stock bars, but I've raised the seat by an inch (I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam). Any sportsbike look-a-like is going to feel small to someone used to a cruiser. If you buy one you'll almost certainly want to fit the MRA screen as well if you do any amount of highway riding. The stock screen deflects the airflow just under the helmet so at anything over about 80 mph it's trying to rip the hemet off.

Rob

Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 PM

I have had my 650R for just about a year now & have put over 15k on the bike. I use it as a commuter mainly but also I ride with a club and I must say I love the bike. I do have the sportbars Rob mentioned on my bike and really like them. They sit a little lower than the standard bars so a get a lil more SS feel but still am more upright than the SSs. Twins are also cool!! Have not had a problem with mine at all. I think they're a great bike mechanically. And you can't beat the gas mileage!! Just my two cents....
[IMG][/IMG]