guess I just graduated to a 650

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:01 AM
Default guess I just graduated to a 650

I was so excited to buy a 2008 Ninja 250, but I got impatient waiting for distribution… so I bought a new 07 Ninja 650 last weekend for $6500 cash. I really needed to be on two wheels as traffic in my neck of the woods is ridiculous (southern cali and San Diego/Tijuana border).

I’m noticing that it holds the same amount of gasoline as my old 250 Ninja, but instead of having to gas up every 150 miles it seems as if I have to gas up every 100 miles. Obviously it’s a bigger engine, but that is a dramatic decrease in MPG!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: guess I just graduated to a 650

congrats!! post sum pics of that bad boy pls. what color??

Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

you filling up every 2.5 gallons?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

how do you fill up your tank, cuz i get 220miles avg on my 250r.......on the 650 you should get around 180 per tank fill

Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

oh yeah congrats on the new bike !!! post some pics

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM

"you filling up every 2.5 gallons?"

Since I've only had the bike a little over a week, I have only had to fill it up twice, I used it all last week to commute. I fill her up when the red "low fuel" light comes on which has been on both ocassions around 100 miles. This just seems really low to me. I want my MPG!!!
I far can I keep going with the red light on?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

are you just sticking the hose in and letting it fill?

I find this article from the ninja250.org page pretty good: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/First_d...h_a_motorcycle

Filling It Up Filling a motorcycle's gas tank is not like filling up a car. You can't just shove the nozzle in as far as it'll go and grab the handle. With most bikes, that will result in a tank filled about half way. The way it needs to be done is a bit more involved. If you have a centerstand, park the bike on the centerstand to get the tank as full as possible. Then, open the gas cap, before you grab the nozzle off the pump. Most motorcycle gas caps are relatively complicated, and you should open it first with both hands free the first few times. With many bikes, there will be a little flip-up cover over the keyhole. When flipped up, that allows you to insert the key, and twist to unlatch the cap. There will commonly be an arrow showing which way to twist the key, but not always, and it's not always clear what the arrow means. It might take moderate force, but don't apply brute strength, or you could snap off the key, leaving you well and truly stuck. Sometimes pressing down on the cap makes it easier to turn the key. Once the cap is open (many bikes have a hinging cap, just fold it back to its stop), grab the nozzle, and put it perhaps an inch (2-3 cm) into the tank opening. Make sure the metal nozzle is touching the metal rim on the tank filler opening! This grounds the motorcycle, preventing build-up of static electricity. Gas nozzles are grounded, to prevent static build up as the gas is pumped. (Amazingly, gasoline moving through the pump's nozzle does build up static, sometimes quite a lot of it.) A static charge could cause a spark to jump when you pull the nozzle away, if the system wasn't grounded. You can probably imagine that a spark at the gas tank opening is among the world's worst ideas. At the very best, your bike only catches fire and burns uncontrollably. At worst, you get explosions like you normally only see in movies featuring guns and mean-faced guys in black turtlenecks. If your gas nozzle has one of those pleated shrouds which allows it to catch gas fumes, you need to pull it back before the nozzle will work. Nozzles of that type contain an interlock device which will prevent them from pumping if the shroud isn't pushed back far enough. Since you'll never fill the tank with the nozzle shoved into the tank, you have to pull back the shroud by hand. Start pumping with the nozzle an inch or so into the tank, until the tank is nearly full. You have to look into the tank for this operation to work, since the auto-off clicker on the nozzle won't work right to fill the motorcycle tank. Wear eye protection (such as your helmet or sunglasses) to keep gasoline from splashing into your eyes. If gasoline does get into your eyes, flush them with water immediately, then seek medical help. There's commonly a visible lip inside the tank, and you can usually safely fill to that point. Don't try to fill beyond it unless you know what you're doing. If you fill the tank beyond that lip, the gasoline can expand out the vents and spill on the ground, creating a fire hazard, and wasting the gas for which you just paid good money. This is usually only a danger when parking the bike immediately after filling it. Note that on some bikes (particularly California models) you can destroy the emission system by filling the tank too full. Once you've filled up the tank and closed the lid, check to make sure (if you have one) that your fuel petcock is set to the ON position, and not to RES or Reserve, or OFF. For more discussion on what reserve means, please see this FAQ article. If you have two petcocks, check both of them. Fuel injected bikes don't have a petcock at all for normal operation.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:26 AM

I don't beleive my new 650 has a reserve? The specs on the Kawasaki website say that it has a 4.1 gallon gas tank,yet everytime I fill up, the gas pump marks about 2.70 gal.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:28 AM

i got a 07 650R and i get around 200 miles a tank. mine aint got no reserve tank. as far as the MPG, since its still new and under warrenty i would take it back to the dealer and c wat they could find.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 PM

I think I might go down to the dealer and talk to them. I am not riding hard, hell, I've only taken it over 80 MPH once. I am taking it easy since this is my second bike, the 250 being the first.

Quick Reply: guess I just graduated to a 650