zxr vs ex500

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: zxr vs ex500

after chattin w/ my friend for bout an hour today we believe the obvious choice for me is a 600.
i love the ability to flick that 500 around, and id like to keep the mileage close to what im gettin now(45mpg),i just want more power. i dont really need a 1 liter bike, its overrated imo. i like the undertail exhaust and i believe the 636's have that and i think the zzr600's do as well, idk for sure. my 500 still starts and runs very good so maybe someone will need a good bike to learn on or something

but i prolly wont go bike shoppin til around jan/feb

Old 11-05-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ZZR600 has the traditional muffler poking out to the left.
I would start shopping when it's coldest, preferably while there's snow on the ground. February is a little too close to Spring, when the dealerships are flaunting the new models. You're more likely to get a better deal while there's snow on the ground. (Bonus points if you interrupt the lonely salesman while he's composing a suicide note.)
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 11-06-2007, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Chris, how is the riding position on the ZZR? Is it more upright like the 500 or forward like the 6R.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Definitely more like the 6R than the 500, but it's still not too bad.
Traditional wisdom (i.e. what old dudes say) is that upright positions are best for touring. Everyone is different, but I generally prefer a slightly sporty position.
When you are sitting straight up with all your weight on your @$$ (like a typical Gold Wing rider), every bump in the road is a jar to your spine (particularly your disks.*) My first bike was an 883 Harley Sportster that was very upright and I had constant, chronic back pain while I owned that bike. Then as soon as I got a bike with a sportier position (a Honda Superhawk that distributed bodyweight on my arms, thighs, and belly) the backpain ceased altogether and I was able to ride even longer.
IMO, a slightly sporty position is more ergonomically safe and will result in fewer back troubles as you get older. (Not really a concern for you fire-pi$$ing whippersnappers, but if you ride safely enough you might live long enough to start having old-people problems like the one that ate up my entire summer this year.)
Peace!
-CCinC
*Oh by the way, I had a herniated disk last May that 86ed my motorcycle & bicycle tour of Holland, Germany, Belgium and Luxemburg this year. I just had two surgeries last month to correct it and am finally able to sit in a chair without terrible pain. No lie: I stacked books under my keyboard at work and stood all day long from May 1st to September 15th and it sucked like a Hoover.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

When you are sitting straight up with all your weight on your @$$ (like a typical Gold Wing rider), every bump in the road is a jar to your spine (particularly your disks.*)
That's why I switched to a sport bike, albeit a relatively straight up and down sitting position(500R). I've been wondering if a real sport bike position would be better/worse/the same in terms of comfort level. I am paranoid about getting carpal tunnel in my hands with the extreme lean, but have no idea if this is a practical concern or not.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I used to have terrible carpal-tunnel too.
Whenever you're on hold on the phone, waiting in line or stuck waiting for someone with nothing better to do, squeeze your fists as tight as you can manage for about 10 seconds. Let your hands rest for about 10 seconds. Now make the opposite of a fist: spread your fingers as far apart as you can (to the point that it almost even hurts a little) for about 10 seconds.
This must increase the circulation or stretch the nerves or something, because I haven't had any pain in my hands for nearly 15 years now. I've ridden a sportbike across the country and back in only 13 days, I've stroked my kayak to Catalina Island and back several times AND I've broken four bones in my left hand. But I rarely get the numbness.

And the sporting position certainly does take some getting used to. When I first got the Superhawk (which is not an extreme sporting position) I had numb hands for the first two weeks. Your hands and arms eventually get stronger. Also, it makes it a little easier when you get used to grasping the tank with your legs and let your butt & back muscles hold you up.

Peace!
-CCinC

Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Agree with Chris. All the vertical (up and down) riders think the sporty position is origami and they ask if it "hurts" or something stupid. Personally, I think it's pretty darned comfortable!! I couldn't imagine riding around on my tailbone like the cruiser guys do, not to mention the semi-reclined position or ape-hanging position of the chopper crowd! With some adjustable rearsets to put your feet where you want them (personally, I like mine high like a jockey) the sporty position is easier on your back (fetal position, actually) and keeps you in a ready crouch for stupid cagers, etc.
(Chris, glad you're back is doing better.)

Old 11-06-2007, 07:58 PM

the first couple times on the 500 i noticed some cramping in my legs from the riding position, but i suspect it had something to do with the weather/water intake/weight lifting.

I quick stretch at a light or stop sign and I was good to go.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

the only hand cramping i get is when im on and off the clutch a lot. i started using one of those things to strengthen your grip when i was just sitting around watching tv or whatever and its really helped. im probably about ready to go out and buy a stronger one...

other than that the only other thing i get is sometimes my foot goes to sleep.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Dang chris, you are all f'd up! Get well.
My hamstrings get the brute of the punishment on rides. Especially the longer rides.