Warm-up time for 500?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Warm-up time for 500?

HAHAHAHA, some interesting statements here that are true in my thinking.
Cold running: When you have a ride that has only .0015" piston to wall clearance. Piston heats up faster then the walls. All we have for a gauge on when to actually ride it hard is by using the water temp gauge. So maybe 5 minutes or less has gone by after starting the ride up, getting the helmet and gloves on. Gauge is at a number that you know is reasonable. ie you know your rides operating temps. Either way, you cruise out of the pits or you cruise out of your driveway at around 3k lets say. Nothing serious with that. Oil has circulated, heat is being built up on the internals. Then just go!
I agree, never run her hard on a cold engine, but then again riding is too short to be sitting and wondering if the engine is warmed up enough and as said above, causing more issues.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member

example with my 7, its 27 outside. if i go start it up with choke and let it sit for 20 sec then take the choke off and let it idle, it will take about 4-5 min for bike to be a decent temp to where the carbs are running right in the low end. in order for the temp gauge to move to "normal" it takes about 10+ min. ofcourse as soon as i start going down the road it drops right back to cold again. the motor is warmed up fine, but the coolant is cool. if its warm out, i'll start and then go, taking it easy letting everything get working properly, but if its cold, i have to let it warm up, or i won't make it out of the drive without slipping the clutch like a bitch b/c it will want to bog, but thats also due to the fact my carbs are way out of sync. also if you start the bike and bump up the idle to say 3k, it will warm up hella lot faster. but my neighbors don't really like that

the bike ur asking about sounds normal based on my experiences.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

funny, but i don't get it

Old 11-03-2006, 08:29 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The pilot is expected to do all he can to keep the aircraft aloft and safely land the toy that cost the taxpayers' millions.
At some point, the aircraft will absolutely not remain aloft any longer. This is what the [EJECT] button is for. I give up.
If you gentlemen want to let your bikes idle for several (or several dozen) minutes, your bikes and your money.
At some point truth becomes less about science and empirical (and even academic) reality, and falls subject to the whims of consensus.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

according to kawasaki, they say always warm the bike up before riding it. don't race or even rev the motor after startup. allowing the bike to warmup with no engine strain will allow all parts to become fully lubed without any damage.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

^^^ I lost ya on that one.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Heffy, I don't think any of us know exactly who you're talking about, but I remember not too long ago you commented on Notstock's avatar, saying it's too offensive, and you wouldn't be posting on this forum because of it. Now you're back, and offending everybody else for their opinion.

What gives?

i must of missed that one. I personally think n/s avitar is funny as hell

Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

^^^ I lost ya on that one.
thats just paraphrased from my owners manual?? ofcourse they also say the first 1k miles is a breakin period where you shouldn't rev the motor past like 6k in the first 500 miles or something

Old 11-03-2006, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: walight01

Heffy, I don't think any of us know exactly who you're talking about, but I remember not too long ago you commented on Notstock's avatar, saying it's too offensive, and you wouldn't be posting on this forum because of it. Now you're back, and offending everybody else for their opinion.

What gives?

i must of missed that one. I personally think n/s avitar is funny as hell

In case you missed it, Here is the post.

Quick Reply: Warm-up time for 500?