Suggestions on a 2nd bike (I'm not selling the 500!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by exalted512
I had a 500 and just bought a new 09 zx6r. Theres a huge power difference, but at the same time, its easier for me to ride than the 500, especially cornering. And you dont have to pull back the the throttle all the way.

Either way, why not just go to track days on the 500? Honestly. If your local track has more twists than long straight aways, you'll be fine. I saw a guy last riding season on a 500 dragging knee and passing 600s, 750s, and 1000s. Spend the money you would use on a bike for lessons on the track. Even on a 500, 99% of the time, the biggest thing holding you back from better track times is not the bike, its the rider.
-Cody
How you liking the 09 ZX6R? I've been reading a ton of articles about it and seen a few video reviews...everyone loves it but I keep hearing the same thing....."let's see what the other guys come up with...." what is it 20lbs lighter than the previous version? Thats pretty incredible.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I should clarify that this will by no means be a dedicated track bike. That being said I want something that will be fun for a couple track school days a year as well. I will definitely be going used on this.....

cheers

Last edited by GC; 01-22-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by exalted512
, why not just go to track days on the 500? Honestly. If your local track has more twists than long straight aways, you'll be fine. Even on a 500, 99% of the time, the biggest thing holding you back from better track times is not the bike, its the rider. -Cody
Two problems with this claim:
~When you go to the track for the first time, they will start you off in the slow-group, which means no passing on the tighter sections.

~Most tracks have long straights, on which our 500 gets passed by every swinging Richard with a 600, who, once they get in front of you, then tippy-toe slowly through the tight sections, with you stuck behind them.

This happened to me on my first track day with the 500, and I'll never take that bike on a track with 600's again. It was infuriating to be stuck behind those clods because passing in the tight sections would have gotten me kicked out, when I could have easily passed them on either side at Palomar Mountain.

I had a LOT more fun riding my 9R on the track, and when I moved up a group and was allowed to pass in the tight sections.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GC
How you liking the 09 ZX6R? I've been reading a ton of articles about it and seen a few video reviews...everyone loves it but I keep hearing the same thing....."let's see what the other guys come up with...." what is it 20lbs lighter than the previous version? Thats pretty incredible.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I should clarify that this will by no means be a dedicated track bike. That being said I want something that will be fun for a couple track school days a year as well. I will definitely be going used on this.....

cheers
Its a pretty incredible machine, but I dont have a lot to compare it against either. I've been on my friends 03 636 and mine is lower, feels a lot skinnier, and A LOT more nimble. But thats a new bike vs a 6 year old bike. Its 20 lbs lighter and has about 8 more hp than the 08 after the jumper mod. Stopping power is fantastic. I'm still breaking it in, so I cant tell you much about the top end...I can tell you around 14k the front tire starts getting really light...but I've only had it up there a couple times as I have less than 500 miles on it. Stock with an Ohlin's steering stabilizer which is nice and I can easily tell the difference between a couple clicks in either direction. I haven't got to crazy on the twisties yet as I want to make sure I know my bike as good as possible before I'm really getting on the curves...I'd hate to see my $10k baby on its side in a ditch because I didnt take my time in getting to know it first.

The only bad thing is that no one has any aftermarket parts for it yet! The only thing I've done to it so far is a Scorpio 900 alarm, a Harri's tank pad, and stomp tank grips (which are amazing!) which were actually for an 08 zx10. Now I'm waiting for a power commander, akra exhaust, k&n filter, and a fender eliminator kit!
-Cody

Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

or you could find a siiiick 08 still at the dealership! looks like this!
Name:  joesbike006.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  52.4 KB

Old 01-24-2009, 03:33 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
or you could find a siiiick 08 still at the dealership! looks like this!

I hadn't actually seen a red zx6 before...that's gorgeous!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Old 02-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Default Which bike (the 500 nor 650) do you like best?

Originally Posted by RickG
I road the 650R and I had a 500R.. the bikes motors are essentially the same. Just that 650r is a newer design. Go to your local dealer you will find nice bikes for track days.. for instance the previous ninja zx6r model or if you don't want to go that powerfull a ZZR is a perfect for starter track bike.... infact dealers have leftover ZZRs will cut a deal now to sell.
Do you regret that you changed from the excellent bike (Ninja 500) to a 650cc? I am now pondering if I should make a switch to a bigger bike? and which model and how big? The 500 cc is a grest bike, no learning curve needed at all. Any recomendations?