stupid headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Default stupid headlight question

so i have a really stupid question about the headlight on my ex500, i want to put a brighter headlight in but cant seem to get the old one out. Ive been working on cars for years but this is my first bike and dont want to start ripping pieces of it off. I cant get the plug off of the bulb, and dont know if its like a car where the plug can sort of fuse on to the bulb from heator it the metal bar along top of it is keeping my from feeling a clip or something, any advice would be awesome.

also, can the stock wiring handle a higher power bulb??

thanks

Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stupid headlight question

This is a good opportunity to become more familiar with your bike and to give it a good cleaning.
If you just remove:
~the (2) 10mm bolts facing downward, directly above the front fender/tire.
~the (2) rear view mirrors
~the (2) phillips screws, facing downward, that mate the fairing to the fuel tank
The entire front fairing assembly pulls forward and off. Just be sure to unhook the headlight socket and turn-signal connector before you try to walk away with the fairing.
This will make it easier to access the bulb and will give you a chance to clean your bike as it's never been cleaned before!

Or, if you just want to get straight to the bulb:
The headlight bulb on this bike is pretty snug in there and it's not as easy to change as other bikes. You'll probably have to reach up under the fairing to get ahold of the plug and socket. It's the black plastic **** that must be wiggled a little while you're pulling it off. It's a PITA with the fairing on the bike, but don't force it.
Once that's off, just pull the black rubber boot off, unclip the little wire clip that holds the bulb in place and slide the bulb out, keeping it's orientation in mind, so you'll remember exactly how the new bulb should be installed. It's really much easier to do with the fairing removed, but if you don't want to remove the fairing...

Finally, have you tried simply adjusting the beam-level of your headlight? This bike has a pretty good headlight compared to some other bikes I've had; it's just a matter of adjusting it properly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

Yup what Chris said.......

The first time you pull the plug on the headlight its a total pain in the ****.
I recommend the Sylvania Silverstar replacment bulb. Nice white light and will give you better visibility. It's also the stock wattage so no electrical issues.
I picked one up on Ebay for like $15 shipped.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 PM

thanks chris i just pulled the front fairing off and swappedd out that bulb im a little worried though because when i got it all back together it kinda looks like the headlight plpug is resting on the front fairing bracket (not sure what thats called) but is working good and a lot brighter. Also true about getting to know the bike better... since i got it its looked like the wind shield was bent or warped when i took the fairing off i saw that the top post of the bracket where the left headlight mounts was bent waaay the f**k foward so i took a pipe and bent it back sooooo much better thanks for the advice

p.s. im hoping that bracket is steel because it took quite a bit of bending

04 ex500
zach

Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear it worked out okay, thanks for keeping us abreast!
Are you referring to the rubber boot seal when you say the "headlight plug"?
Did you restore the little wire clip and mount the bulb securely?
And I'm what you mean by "the bracket where the left headlight mounts". I'm reasonably certain all of the bracketry and subframe are steel, so you're probably fine.
Ride safely & Peace!
-CCinC

Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM

yeah i got the clip holding the bulb into the headdlight assembly on good and got the ruber boot to seal, but then the actuall plpug for the electrical wire looked like it was resting against the front fairing bracket its working great and everythings all straightened out so ill just see how it holds up i guess

Old 07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Another thing to check is the the rubber doughnut/boot. Press the center of it all the way foward on the shaft of the bulb. If it's not pushed all the way forward, it's difficult to snap that three-pronged plug securely onto the bulb.
Have a great weekend.
Peace!
-CCinC