sticking throttle probelm

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Default sticking throttle probelm

is there any way to take the throttle apart so that the plastic sleeve around the handle bar can be cleaned underneath? my throttle doesn't snap back as responsively anymore, and i've checked the cable to make sure it's tightened. when i twist it, it feels like there is something between the sleeve and handle bar keeping it from snapping back quickly, any advice? thanks in advance.

bryan

Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: sticking throttle probelm

Hey Bryan.
Have you recently had the bike in for service or something?
When did the throttle become sticky?

A throttle can become absurdly sticky by something as simple as a misrouted throttle cable.
Before taking your throttle assembly apart or assuming the worst, I would remove your gas-tank, review the cable/hose routing diagram in the service manual and make sure there is nothing amiss. Just the slightest variation from the routing diagram can put a kink in a cable, causing stickiness and premature wear.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-CCinC
http://www.calamarichris.com/

Old 09-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

+ 1, check the cable 1st. When was the last time the cable was lubed? Who old is the bike?

Old 09-04-2006, 07:53 PM

i just recently purchased it (used) from another owner. it's a 2002 ex500 with a clean record and i had it checked out when i bought it. is there a good site with how to's for basic stuff like this? in terms of basic stuff i mean like pulling off the tank to get to the carbs, oil changes and so forth. i've worked on cars since high school, but never bikes, however i want to learn. thanks guys!

also as a side note, i had found a lot of good info on ex500riders.com however it looks like they're having some trouble with the hosting company, anyone know what's up with that and if there's any way we can help out there?

bryan

Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 PM

also, when i turn the throttle, it sounds like something is rubbing in the housing of the engine kill switch. also, is it possible that some grip glue could have gotten under the throttle tube b/c there are aftermarket grips on it. i know that once it dries it should not stick, but since there is barely any room in there, i was thinking dried glue could prevent the throttle tube from moving freely around the handlbar.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you are correct about the glue or other debris.

You should get the service manual, check ebay I paid like 25 bucks for mine and they are worth every cent. As far as removing the tank or disassemble of throttle just do it slow and keep track of everything, take pictures as you go they can help you on the reassembly if you forget how it looked.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 AM

Notstock,

any advice on where to start or things to look out for when removing the throttle tube? thanks!