Staying cool!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Default Staying cool!

My last question about thew radiator fan led me to this one. How does everybody stay cool and stay protected? A leather jacket and leather gloves are killers in 90+ degree heat! Even my textile jacket is super hot. I'm not one of those guys who ride in shorts and flipflops, but it sure is tempting sometimes!

Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Staying cool!

my icon leather isnt actually that bad. its perforated so the air gets through. the worst is when you are stopped or going very slow.

i have a mesh jacket thats nice, but protection is pretty much zero. its better than nothing i guess. the biggest protection it offers are the pads. i dont expect it to save any skin though.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The mesh jackets are better than nothing, BUT drink plenty of water if you're riding in temps hot enough to warrant the mesh, particularly in the desert. The hot air moving through the mesh and over your skin will dehydrate you much more quickly than normal. I was on a trip once and started to get loopy after only an hour--totally dehydrated by the hot, dry wind.

To stay cool:
~Bring along a cloth bandana and wet it at every gas stop. Not sure why, but this does a pretty terrific job of keeping you cool--perhaps because so much blood flows through our neck.
~Wear long-sleeve cotton T-shirts and pour water on the sleeves & trunk every time you stop for gas. It dries off pretty quickly, but it's heaven when you're riding across the Mojave on a 125-degree day.
~If you have a textile (non-leather) jacket, fill up all the pockets with ice. The ice melts; the water trickles; you stay relatively cool for a long time.
~Get a pair of small, non-gauntlet gloves and open up the sleeves of your jacket. Even if you're wearing a leather jacket on a hot day, having airflow up your sleeves can make all the difference.

It was about 120-degrees when I was riding across the Mojave wearing this suit:

There are pockets on the chest, at the hips and even above the thighs. I filled them all up with ice and was even shivering at some points during the ride.

Good luck and ride safely.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 05-16-2008, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

i've been riding in my full leather Power Trip jacket, it's hot but it safe so i deal. the vents are good, i open the front of it too so blow air through me, and you can hit the highway once in awhile or something and that usually keeps me pretty cool.

i'm getting some open finger gloves today for the summer heat and i can't stand a glove over my fingers...too restrictive.

but id say just open the jacket or unzip part ways to let the wind in and cool you down mang.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Textile Jacket here in Texas is not that bad. As long as you stay moving its not bad. I also wear a camel back to stay hydrated. Gloves are A.S. mesh and not bad. Drink plenty of H20.