Sport Touring w/Ninja 500R

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Default Sport Touring w/Ninja 500R

So, I am thinking of making my 2007 Ninja 500R into more of a Sport Touring bike. Does anyone have any ideas that would produce such a result? Windscreen upgrades? Fairings? Seats (Corbin)? Bar ends? I could keep going.

Does anyone out there do any amount of touring on their EX500?

Thanks!
.kev

Old 09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Default RE: Sport Touring w/Ninja 500R

here on the island there's not much ground for touring, but we get our bikes out as much as possible, so majority of the time it's more like a dress up competition for everyone over here, basically who can ride with the sweetest looking bikes, is the biggest thrill, but that in itself is the most fun with owning these metal ponies. but i could probably guess that its no different here then there, it's all about whoevers got the cash will normally have the sweetest looking rides. hee hee hee.....but good luck dressing her up for the adventure she's about to go on, touring or just riding to and from work or just riding in general, is always a good thing. "ride safe though, so you can ride tomorrow." best of luck

take care....

Old 09-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Most I've done in one day was 200 km's - my 94 is stock - other than a tinted windscreen. My only complaint was that the seat was a little hard

So for me, all I'd look into, would be a corbin seat maybe?

Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM

throw some soft bags on. yes corbin makes good looking seats... if you've got the cash go for it. if you're gonna put bar ends on... check into the throttle lock variety... makes the going a lot easier when you don't continually need human force on the throttle. i also have a "moto fizz" "thermoclock"... time and temp and also records the last 8 hours of temps so when you find a place to chill for the night and decide to make a submission to the riders log, you can notate the temperatures that you rode through. in colorado it's quite impressive some of the temps that get recorded while i'm riding. temperature shifts of 70 and 80 degrees F sometimes.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:13 AM

Thanks guys...

The more I look at my bike, the more I like it. It is a new 2007 "Titanium" 500R. I think I have determined what I am going to do with her...

1. Corbin Seat
2. "Streetfighter" Mid Fairing Completion Kit
3. Smoke Windscreen
4. Clear tail light w/integrated blinker
5. Silverstar headlight
6. Fender Eliminator
7. Heavy weight bar ends

Anyone know of bar ends that will reduce the vibration on this bike... My pinky finger goes numb after about 75 miles.

Any more suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Why do you need upgrades to make this bike a sport-tourer?
The only changes I made to mine were stiffer Racetech forksprings and a set of Tourmaster luggage.

Rode that sumb1tch from San Diego to Whistler, British Columbia and back last August. The bike performed wonderfully! I met a Harley friend up in Washington who was bragging to everyone about how he could keep up with me on his FXDL (1300cc engine), but I was only taking it easy while riding with his punk-@$$. No fooling!
My 2002 EX averaged 56.6 mpg and performed superbly and enviably. (I just wish I hadn't taken it easy while riding with the Harley clod.)
Here are photos of my trip.

You don't need windshields, cruise-control or drink holders for sport touring. Just read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Touring--that guy rode from Minnesota to California and back with his son and a pile of gear on a 305cc engine (of course he was also insane, but that's beside the point):

Just go man! Go travel and take lots of pictures and forward them to us!
-Chris in Carlsbad
http://www.calamarichris.com/

Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Okay, I also changed the mirrors to the 2002 ZX9R/ZX6R mirrors, because they stick out a little farther and look so much cooler, IMO:

Old 09-06-2006, 03:01 AM

So tell me... are the 98-02 ZX6/9R mirrors DIRECT replacements, or do they require additional mounts/adapters? I have an 07 500R

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 09-06-2006, 05:56 AM
WAX

Calamarichris,

Damn...I'm jealous of your trips. I'm just too busy with work to take rides across town!!!

Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kevlarian
So tell me... are the 98-02 ZX6/9R mirrors DIRECT replacements, or do they require additional mounts/adapters? I have an 07 500R
Thanks!
Kevin
They bolt on directly, no adaptors required. You can even use your existing nuts.
These are also the same mirrors that are on the 05-07 ZZR600 AND you can probably get nearly identical replacements from Emgo.

And thanks, Wax. Good luck getting the time off. Do whatever you gotta do, because there's nothing like a roadtrip to either see where you'd like to live OR to appreciate how good you've got it where you live now.

Quick Reply: Sport Touring w/Ninja 500R