Silly gas question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Silly gas question

To the tune of the Pink Panther theme:
Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead aaaant, dead dead dead dead dead.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Just FYI for the OP. I can add 4 gal. if I hit the gas station immediately when the reserve kicks in. I don't Know of a mod on the bike, but I'm not the original owner. 2006 EX500R

Old 04-18-2008, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Would anything bad happen if you accidently left the tank on reserve? (Other than being SOL if you ran out of gas)
-Cody

Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ahh vacuum operated gravity fed. got it

that rubber is probably from the fuel line when you put it back on the petcock. apparently its pretty common to shear a piece off... the edge of that petcock is like a scalpel.

the ant though... thats funny. i remember your post about that

Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

According to FOG, the ant crawled up my vent tube, so a fuel filter wouldn't have stopped the little guy. A man with a mission. Pretty awesome accomplishment, when you think about it.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exalted512
Would anything bad happen if you accidently left the tank on reserve? (Other than being SOL if you ran out of gas)
-Cody
Hopefully you pull safely to the side of the road. Then you can either:
a) Push your bike to the next available gas-station or
b)

Peace!
-CCinC
P.S. I was actually waiting on this Tennessee guard rail while my wife was being written a speeding ticket, but you get the idea.
P.P.S. The TN-trooper forgot to write one for me too, which is pretty funny since she was only keeping up with me. 8D

Old 04-19-2008, 03:07 AM

It's not a silly question at all. I have the same problem with my '06, (but strangely didn't have this problem with my '02).
The problem is the little towers in the fuel tap must be trimmed to get down to the gas at the bottom of the tank.
I dont think its possible to trim those things. I ran out of gas and was stranded for a while. Sooo when i got home i decided i would try and do this.

It turns out the main fuel line inside the tank is just a little metal pipe with a filter on the end and the reserve is just the little filter. The only way i could see trimming either of them is to cut the little filter but that doesnt sound like a very good idea to me...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 AM

i have not problems with milage on my 06 500r. last fill up i got 60.5 mpg. I went over 200 miles cant remember off hand but that was on 3.2 -3.6 gal that i dumped back in her

Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

You can always do the tilt trick too...
Peace

Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

ORIGINAL: exalted512
-Cody
Hopefully you pull safely to the side of the road. Then you can either:
a) Push your bike to the next available gas-station or
b)

Peace!
-CCinC
P.S. I was actually waiting on this Tennessee guard rail while my wife was being written a speeding ticket, but you get the idea.
P.P.S. The TN-trooper forgot to write one for me too, which is pretty funny since she was only keeping up with me. 8D
But its not bad for the bike? I've accidently left it on reserve for about 100 miles before I remembered to switch it back.
-Cody

Quick Reply: Silly gas question