Riding gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding gear

I know I should have gotten these things before but now I'm ready to invest in some riding gear. Some of it I have but it's not really "all weather." My leather jacket is more for the other 3 seasons, not so much Summer. And I don't have riding pants so I am constantly changing in and out of my work uniform - shorts.
Can anyone recommend what it is I should be looking for in the line of what I need or don't.
I ride on the freeway a bit and in all traffic conditions. Not really high speed, but average highway speeds. And something breathable is a must.
Is there anything else?
Thanks.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If you think gear is unbearably hot, just imagine your road-rash, bleeding a little, then forming a scab stuck to your pants, then ripping open when you stand up, then bleeding a little while you're up and around, then forming a scab stuck to your pants, then some girl asking about the red stain on your jeans, then ripping it open again even more when you stand up...
One thing I've noticed is that heavy scar tissue does not sweat (and therefore does not radiate unwanted body heat) as efficiently as healthy, unscarred skin.
Heat is an uncomfortable inconvenience. Crashing without gear is agonizing and sometimes life-threatening. Do the math...
-CCinC

Old 08-06-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

That's what I am trying to avoid by asking for people's recommendations for gear. I saw the girl's foot a while back, and have several large scars from dirtbikes when I was a kid so I know that it sucks.
I'm just not that familiar with the available products so would like some input.
I wrote about my riding habits and style to a minor extent to try to help guide any advice in what I should be looking at. I don't want to walk into the dealership cold and get something I probably don't need or pay way too much for something either. Obviously I would be safest in some very fancy well made suit with lots of pads, but let's face it, I'm not going to buy that. If money were no object I wouldn't ask for advice. I need the biggest bang for the buck while not looking like a Speed Racer extra...

Old 08-12-2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by calamarichris
If you think gear is unbearably hot, just imagine your road-rash, bleeding a little, then forming a scab stuck to your pants, then ripping open when you stand up, then bleeding a little while you're up and around, then forming a scab stuck to your pants, then some girl asking about the red stain on your jeans, then ripping it open again even more when you stand up...
One thing I've noticed is that heavy scar tissue does not sweat (and therefore does not radiate unwanted body heat) as efficiently as healthy, unscarred skin.
Heat is an uncomfortable inconvenience. Crashing without gear is agonizing and sometimes life-threatening. Do the math...
-CCinC
He is not being a jerk^. He is being brutally honest. Leather is for every season. Go get an underarmor long sleeve shirt and pants. You'll sweat more right off the bat, but you'll actually stay cooler.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks Cobravenom. I was being a little bit of a dogmatic jerk when I said "Do the math" and I apologize for it.
Crashes have a way of making you see things in black&white. I just went on a trip with my father up to Northern California where the fires are burning and despite the 90+degree temps, I wore my full-body Aerostitch suit. It was too hot to be wearing that armored goretex suit, but I noticed something: my father and his friend were just as uncomfortable riding in their jeans and T-shirts.
When it's hot like that the only escape is a wet T-shirt & bandana, OR stuffing ice in your jacket pockets, which is what I did on this 110-degree day in the Mojave:

(Fortunately the Roadcrafter suit has 8 pockets which can be filled with ice.)

Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

So Cordura and ballistic materials aren't as good? I'm just not sure of what's what.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I haven't crashed in my suit yet, but I've dragged the knees in them a few times. Ballistic fabric's big advantage is that it's usually used only on the crash-points (elbows, knees, shoulders) making them handy on cooler, vented, textile jackets/suits.
The problem with the stuff is that it's a little grabbier on asphalt than leather and not as durable as leather. Nothing slides better and lasts longer than leather, IMO. I've crashed several times in my 17-year-old Harley jacket and it still looks nice enough to wear to the symphony.
But of course the downside to black leather is it's hotter than hell when you're waiting at a stoplight in Phoenix (where lane-sharing is tragically illegal.)
Peace and safe riding!
-CCinC

Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I actually received my Fieldsheer pants yesterday but they are too small (or am I too big?) and they look quite the part. Pads and hard protective panels and very durable looking material. Hopefully when the new size arrives they will look as good and never have to do their thing.
I also got a Fieldsheer jacket of the same material and am very happy with it. My leather jacket is a good one but this textile jacket seems more suited to the task.
But Chris, I most certainly agree with the leather being extremely durable. I've never seen a cow with road rash...

Last edited by fnpaulie; 08-15-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I've never seen a cow with road rash...

They don't have the most cornering clearance, and they're only slightly faster than a Harley, but I'm sure one of them has low-sided before.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 08-16-2008, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure I have a reply to that...