Regular maintnance on the 500.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Regular maintnance on the 500.....

for the exception of the 600 mile service the 4000 mile service, the 7500 mile serviceand so on....
what are the regualar things you should do to your bike, on a regualr basis???

1..... like lubing the chain (i was told every 3 to 4 fill-ups - which would be about every 500 to about 700 miles)

2......check tire pressure before every ride (does everyone check it for real with a guage or just looks atthe tires if the look and feel good?)

3......and of course check lights before a ride, but other then that if you get the serives done at a stealership anything else you should do on your own to help your bike run well???

Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Regular maintnance on the 500.....

Sounds like you have it pretty much covered. The tire statement? I just squeeze the tire with my hand, (kick the tire so to speak) for the street (you may need a hammer for your tires!). I do like using blue locktite for metal to metal fasteners duing my service checks.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

Sounds like you have it pretty much covered. The tire statement? I just squeeze the tire with my hand, (kick the tire so to speak) for the street (you may need a hammer for your tires!). I do like using blue locktite for metal to metal fasteners duing my service checks.
yeah, that's what i kind of do, look around the tires make sure they look okay and give it a nice firm squeeze......

not sure i undarstand the blue locktite comment??? can you explain...... [sm=icon_quiet.gif]

Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 PM

yeah man, definitely lock tite the speedo cable, mine kept coming loose until I did that. Be sure to keep the chain clean also, I use kerosine which works wonderfully..........dont let it get too dirty, its only that much harder to scrub clean.

I know my clutch got loose, but its pretty easy to tighten with the two twisting pieces right there (nuts?)

One other thing, dont wait to long to do your air filter, I dont really ride in dirty places but it gets nasty quick on me

Old 12-19-2006, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Well lets see....... I use a tire pressure guage and check my tire pressure before every ride.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The factory service manual and supplement give you a detailed maintenance schedule. At only 50-bucks, it will soon pay for itself.

But here's a general guideline:
~Chain lubed & cleaned every 500 miles. Tighten it whenever it can hit the bottom of the swingarm too easily with finger pressure.
~Oil & filter change every 2,500-3,000 miles.
~Valve adjustment, carb synch*, and airfilter element cleaned/re-oiled every other oil change (~6,000-7,500 miles)
~Coolant and spark plugs replaced every other valve adjustment.

*And this bike REALLY shines if you do a careful job adjusting the valves uniformly and synchronizing the carbs!

Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

not sure i undarstand the blue locktite comment??? can you explain...... [sm=icon_quiet.gif]
You should know what locktite is, permatex
thread locker in the medium grade which is normally blue in color. Medium strength. No Reds!
anything metal to metal, ie bolt to frame is blue loctited. Carrier boltsare loctited, etc.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

You should know what locktite is, permatex
thread locker in the medium grade which is normally blue in color. Medium strength. No Reds!
anything metal to metal, ie bolt to frame is blue loctited. Carrier boltsare loctited, etc.
yeah, I know the locktite.... but what you use it on, I'm still learning a bunch of new stuff everyday here.....

Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I also use it on linkage bolts, peg stays, and pretty much any bolt related item on the frame/chassis

Old 12-21-2006, 10:40 AM

you arent necessarily looking for "lock tite" because I think its actually a brand name, but something that is a thread locker.............can be a variety of brands methinks, just be sure not to get one that is too strong, most will specify what strength. Buy it, open it, stick it on the threads and screw it back in......after that it probably will not vibrate loose

Quick Reply: Regular maintnance on the 500.....