regular light vs. high beam at night???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: regular light vs. high beam at night???

ORIGINAL: j_christopherhall

For what its worth I pretty quickly found that I want the high-beam on at all times after dark. I've only been riding regularly for a few weeks now but no oncoming traffic flashes their headlights at me like they're bothered by the highbeam and even if they did I find it provides so much better visibility on back roads at night that I'd keep it on even if it bothered others. I'd rather be able to see the road ahead of me than worry about momentarily upsetting somebody's vision a bit. It can't be that bad on the other traffic anyway. I took a rider safety class to get my license and I'm pretty sure they told us to keep the high-beam on all the time at night too. At first I'd flip it down when there was oncoming traffic but now I don't bother -- nobody seems to be annoyed by it.

The pain is the idiots who walk over and tinker with the bike while its parked. WHAT UNBELIEVABLY RETARDED PEOPLE!!!!!

Have fun.
The point of turning down your high beams is so the other driver can see the road, I have never had a motorcyle come by with blinding beams but some of the newer cars can kill you with their beams. I've been in situations where the light was so bright it was my only reference point, I couldnt see the road or anything else, and staying in my lane required more luck than experience. Also it takes 20-30 minutes for your eyes to become fully acustomed to the dark but it only takes a quick flash to lose your night vision, then you will need another 20-30 minutes to become acustomed again. Just because nobody gets mad and flashes their lights at you doesnt mean that its ok or safe.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the kind words Nasfaw, but I hope no one takes offense or feels I'm pointing the finger at them.
I've been up (in helicoptors, airplanes and balloons) over heavily populated areas and I always marvel at the thousands of cars zipping around without crashing into each other. Sure, accidents happen, but when you consider how many thousands of cars are driving so many thousands of miles and sharing those skinny, little, criss-crossing roads with each other, the comparatively low number of incidents is really a tribute to harmonious humanity!
What prevents this from turning into a Mad-Max crash-up-derby? Common courtesy.
If we ever devolved into the Mad-Max scenario, we motorcyclists would soon be extinct. So it's really in our best interest to keep common courtesy afloat.
Those are just my two cents. Your mileage may vary, and you'll probably see at least one or two Mad-Maxes on your way home from work tonight.
Thanks again!
-Chris in C'bad (And the next time you come to San Diego, I've got some ~terrific~ roads to show you!)

Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Prom

For what its worth I pretty quickly found that I want the high-beam on at all times after dark. I've only been riding regularly for a few weeks now but no oncoming traffic flashes their headlights at me like they're bothered by the highbeam and even if they did I find it provides so much better visibility on back roads at night that I'd keep it on even if it bothered others. I'd rather be able to see the road ahead of me than worry about momentarily upsetting somebody's vision a bit. It can't be that bad on the other traffic anyway. I took a rider safety class to get my license and I'm pretty sure they told us to keep the high-beam on all the time at night too. At first I'd flip it down when there was oncoming traffic but now I don't bother -- nobody seems to be annoyed by it.

The pain is the idiots who walk over and tinker with the bike while its parked. WHAT UNBELIEVABLY RETARDED PEOPLE!!!!!

Have fun.
The point of turning down your high beams is so the other driver can see the road, I have never had a motorcyle come by with blinding beams but some of the newer cars can kill you with their beams. I've been in situations where the light was so bright it was my only reference point, I couldnt see the road or anything else, and staying in my lane required more luck than experience. Also it takes 20-30 minutes for your eyes to become fully acustomed to the dark but it only takes a quick flash to lose your night vision, then you will need another 20-30 minutes to become acustomed again. Just because nobody gets mad and flashes their lights at you doesnt mean that its ok or safe.
Never say never; I have super bright white lights on my R1 and they will blind the crap out of you.

High beams are for when there is little light to help you see like out in the country or up in the mountains. They will bother on coming traffic so you should just as in a cage switch to low beams when oncoming traffic is approaching.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:19 PM

Its really personal preference because the motorcycle high beams dont seem to shoot out the same angle/direction as most cars, mine at least seems to be angled down out in front of me more, possibly just the way my bike was set up though, however I still choose low beams at night b/c it is really up to the rider to protect him/herself.

You have to remember that every car on the rode at any given second is trying to knock you off and kill you............ a scary way to ride but perhaps the safest.

Did the little schitzu go on the trip with you???? craziness

Old 10-11-2006, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, my 500 was adjusted as low as it would go from the factory. An upgrade to PIAA GTX bulb, same draw but puts out like 2X the light, 110-120W I believe, and a major adjustment up made a big difference. Try adjusting yours, there are marks you can make on a wall at a certain distance, someone may have those. I use a empty dark area and dial my high beam to be the most effective for distance, the low is still below the level of a rear car window in traffic, (could be higher if it was adjustable seperate from the high beam) Cars will flash you on high if your light is adjusted correctly and you will be able to see further up the road where you need the main light pattern, look ahead!!! Even with the upgrade bulb these lights should be better, my ZZRs and newer bikes have killer reflectors that are soooo much better, the bulb upgrade should be the least you do for safety sake, I am thinking of adding a driving light or two. Jim.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

ORIGINAL: Prom

Have fun.
Never say never; I have super bright white lights on my R1 and they will blind the crap out of you.

High beams are for when there is little light to help you see like out in the country or up in the mountains. They will bother on coming traffic so you should just as in a cage switch to low beams when oncoming traffic is approaching.
heh, what i meant to say was not yet, but yeah not only are they a bother to oncoming drivers but they can be a danger to both.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:53 AM

Hey, you guys rock! There's some really sound (and sane) advice flowing here. I'm a new rider too, but I totally agree w/the common courtessy and safety aspects of dimming your lights for oncoming traffic. Afterall, if your high beam hits an approaching driver just right, it can cause them to temporarily loose sight of the road. Then who knows what can happen, they veer off the road then over-correct and the next thing you know you're eating grill, asphalt, or undercarriage. No Thanks! I also get really aggravated at all the yahoos out there on two wheels showing their behinds--being stupid, rude, and unsafe on the highway. I try to do what I can to maintain a respectful and courteous demeanor while riding. It can only be reciprocated, right?

Anyway, for safety's sake, I always upgrade my auto headlights. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade for my '91 EX 500's headlight? I've read that some require a wiring upgrade as well. Is this true or can you use more powerful bulbs w/the stock wiring?

As for the running/signal lights, I can see your point, Chris. I had someone else express the same sentiment to me regarding the rear signals. One of my front posts was broken out of the fairing when I bought my bike so I took them both off the front and replaced them w/the flush mount kind. Were the fairing repairable enough to mount the stock post securely, I would have kept the stock lights up front.

Ride safely, and smartly!!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

When I ride at night I use the same courtesy to other motorists as I would if I was driving my car.......high beams come off when there is oncoming traffic.

The 500 has got to have the ugliest set up for signal lights.........but at least they are visible. That's why mine is staying stock.

BTW - some great advice in this thread guys!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I am not an expert, and I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to riding on the road. I usually run my high beams when it's just me. I live in a bedroom community, which means there's a lot of homes, and a lot of blind turns INTO the road. If there's a lot of traffic, I'll ride with regular beams, if it's little to no traffic, I always rock the high beams. I figure if that itty bit longer beam of light comes into someone's line of sight before they pull into the road, the better. I always try to turn off the highbeam when oncoming traffic is around, but I've found if it's crowded (lots of people coming home) I will keep the bright on. This is because there are a lot of intersections, and a good amount have uncontrolled left hand turns. Yes, I want Soccer Mom SUV to see me a half a mile out coming at her, and I definitely want her to know I'm at the interesection. It can be considered rude, but I figure for all the time I keep it off, a few minutes at an intersection or bad road with it on to let my position known to others is cheaper than physical therapy... if I survive. People die with full gear too folks. So yeah, be courtious, but be seen!