regular light vs. high beam at night???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default regular light vs. high beam at night???

So I took my bike the other night to check out my friends game some ways from my house.

While coming back it was dark and I decided to ride on high beams!!! Seemed not to bother any drivers coming my way...... is that so???
Do you guys ride on high or regular lights at night??? Obviously you can see so much more with the high beams, but figured I see what you guys do and say.......

d.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:04 AM
Default RE: regular light vs. high beam at night???

You ever been out in your car and a car comin the other way has his beams on? Annoying right? Same thing, in my opinion. Would drive me nuts. Just my 2 pennies.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jodub

You ever been out in your car and a car comin the other way has his beams on? Annoying right? Same thing, in my opinion. Would drive me nuts. Just my 2 pennies.

Yes, I have been in a car and the other car coming my way had high beams.... reason I asked is I don't know if bikes have the same strength lights as cars and am new to riding and is why I asked.....

Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 AM

I didn't mean to come off as a *****, I was just making a comparison is all. And yess the bulbs are the same as car bulbs. Exact same. Apologies for any rudeness you may have picked up from me on that last post.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 AM

For what its worth I pretty quickly found that I want the high-beam on at all times after dark. I've only been riding regularly for a few weeks now but no oncoming traffic flashes their headlights at me like they're bothered by the highbeam and even if they did I find it provides so much better visibility on back roads at night that I'd keep it on even if it bothered others. I'd rather be able to see the road ahead of me than worry about momentarily upsetting somebody's vision a bit. It can't be that bad on the other traffic anyway. I took a rider safety class to get my license and I'm pretty sure they told us to keep the high-beam on all the time at night too. At first I'd flip it down when there was oncoming traffic but now I don't bother -- nobody seems to be annoyed by it.

The pain is the idiots who walk over and tinker with the bike while its parked. WHAT UNBELIEVABLY RETARDED PEOPLE!!!!!

Have fun.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

it's okay, wasn't sure but I only asked because I don't know, I have very limited knowledge about street bikes....

thanks for clerafing the lights for me!!!

[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Sometimes I ride with my high beams while moving, but once I come to a stoplight behind other cars, I will switch it off.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Atnight use the lows and during the day use the brights when needed like when skirting traffic.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I find it pretty annoying when I see a bike coming the other way with his high-beams brazenly left on. I feel like the statement is, "I'm selfish and value my own precious safety more than your comfort, convenience, and... safety."
If you're going to ride with your high beams on at night, please at least have the common courtesy to flick to normal beams when approaching other traffic. If everyone on motorcycles rides like they don't give a turd about their fellow motorists, we'll soon have an even worse reputation.

If you really want to be safe, wear bright, reflective clothing and leave your stock turn-signals & running lights on. Another unfortunate, but no less ridiculous thing: young riders I see riding with their high-beams on, tiny little aftermarket turn-signals (or having them removed entirely), and the ubiquitous loud pipes save lives...
"I'm selfish! I'm inconsiderate! I'm unique! LOOK AT ME!"

And when you're waiting at a stoplight at night, keep an eye on traffic approaching from the rear--flash your brake lights repeatedly to ensure they see you, AND leave your bike in gear with the clutch in, just in case they don't see you or your brake light.
-CCinC

Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM

Mr. CALAMARICHRIS

Your advice was so pointed and relevant that it even made me take an introspective look at myself. Kudos!

Quick Reply: regular light vs. high beam at night???