Questions About Purchasing a 2000 Ninja 500!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Default RE: Questions About Purchasing a 2000 Ninja 500!

Damn... I want to be able to get at least 5k miles out of anything i buy before it needs anything major as far as engine work. Im going to look at the bike in 1/2 hour so when i get back i'll post a picture of the leak and any other information i have and you guys can help me make a decision. I have until at least thursday before the bank gets back to me about my loan approval anyway....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The coolant leak is probably very minor. But if you're getting a good deal on a used bike with 12,000 miles on it, you're going to be stuck doing the valve adjustment. It's fairly in-depth, but DIYable if you're at all mechanically-inclined.
I started a free online how-to, but I've been too lazy to finish it. You can get an idea of how much work it is by looking at the photos:
http://www.calamarichris.com/ex500/valveadj1.htm

Good luck and Peace!
-CCinC

Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM

If this bike has been well maintained by what Chris has said then you should get well over 5k out of it before it needs anything major. Chances are the most you would have to do is routine maintenance and maybe adjust the valves which i hear can be done on the side of the road in a pinch.

The only reason I've torn my bike apart is for my own education and satisfaction. By no means did I need to do anything other than lube the chain, change the oil and any other routine stuff, I just took the MSF and I still won't have my license and be able to ride for another 8 months while the DMV figures out what to do with my road test waiver. If I can't ride the bike in the meantime I figured I might as well wrench on it, learn it's intricacies and convince myself I can do any work needed instead of being raped in the wallet by a dealer.

goodluck and let us know what you decide.

PS

I'm diggin the targa lower cowl. I got one on my bike too, though it doesn't look nearly as good as yours b/c of my muzzy exhaust interferes with fitment a lil.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a head gasket to me. Been there, done that.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM

If it's a blown head gasket on a bike, will there be similar symptoms as with a car IE coolant in the oil, low coolant?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Chris,

The link going forward from pg1 to pg2 has a bad link... it points back to pg1.

I feel like there should be some commentary as I'm looking over those pics, lol. I bet they help out a ton if used in conjunction with the haynes manual or something. They tend not to show enough pics I think. I had a heck of a time getting the front sprocket off last night... the book wasn't very clear on the roatating of the retaining clip, plus it was dirty so I couldn't see exactly what was going on.

awesome pics Chris.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You have to click on the link to page III, then click on the link to page II.
Maybe I'll get off my **** and get it done this week...
-CCinC

Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM

I just got back from checking it out, i brought my friend who has a 2000 ZX6R. I gotta say, the bike is pretty much immaculate. It truly does look brand new. The oil was fine (changed at alittle over 10k miles). The guy who has it now has taken to the dealer to do routine maitenance but he hasn't had the chain/sprocket done or a valve adjustment since he's had it. Hes had for close to 3 years and since it had 8k miles on it. I went to the dealer he bought it from after seeing it today, but they switched their computer system since he bought it so they didn't have the records as to what they did to the bike before they put it up for sale.

3-4 small drops of coolant come out of the little overflow tube that sticks out the bottom of the bike after rides that are over like 20+ miles. The only thing done to the bike besides the targa fairing is an auxiliary fan switch. This leads me to believe that the fairing may not be allowing the engine to stay as cool as it normally would, and it might be getting hotter due to that. Makes sense then that the switch was put on to keep the bike cooler and prevent any coolant from bubbling out.

Providing I get the loan from the bank, I think i'm definitely gonna get the bike. It looks great, especially compared to my friends Zx6r of the same year, and the engine was still pretty strong and healthy sounding. I figure I can show up with $2000 cash and hope he takes it. Then i can drive the bike for the next month or so until I go back to school, and have it taken in to do the valve adjustment over the winter, then do the chain and sprocket and front brake pads with my friends in the spring.

Any opinions? Advice?

Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The fairing would not make the bike run appreciably hotter. The guy probably just installed the switch on his own because he was sitting in traffic.
I'm troubled by the coolant leak. Neither bikes nor humans last long when they're constantly losing vital fluids.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 AM

Yes the only thing that gives me the slightest hesitiation with this bike is the coolant leak. I really can't figure out what it would be??!

If it's coming from the coolant overflow tube; then i would be led to believe that its NOT a head gasket issue. Is there anything else that is serious that's not a head gasket that could be causing 3-4 small drops to leak out after longer rides???

Quick Reply: Questions About Purchasing a 2000 Ninja 500!