Question On the 500r's power

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Default Question On the 500r's power

I already posted this question, and I guess I never got a response so I'm posting in a thread on its own. I think where I asked wasn't appropriate anyways. Well, Here it is...

Can Anyone here get they're bike to do a descent wheely in second gear? I can wheely my 1980 Honda XL185 in second gear and even a little in third. Maybe I need to adjust the carbs alittle. Not sure how on dual carbs. Idles well though, so like this paragraph is going, I'm in circles. Any help would be appreciated.
I would probably find my answer on the EX500Riders web site, but I have yet to see the site actually working. I always get this server message for the host isaac. Kind of sucks.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Default RE: Question On the 500r's power

Tank,

The quote you added is in reference to a Honda bike. If you are asking about a EX 500, from what I understand you can't really get a wheelie on EX500 unless you change the sprockets. I have a brand new 06 Ninja 500R and could care less about doing wheelies, back when Mom and Dad bought me stuff, I didn't care about tearing it up, they would get it fixed. But I am older and wiser and learned over the years to take care of your bike and it will take care of you.

Tim

Old 08-28-2006, 02:00 AM

My question had nothing to do with abusing the bike; personally, wheelies are a fun part of riding. I've never had, like you say, mommy and daddy fix anything for me, and I'm a little old for you to be even saying that too. My bikes have always taken care of me, been riding for 12 years and only had one minor tip witch was loose gravel while I was jumping my dirt bike.

Sorry, but your reply was quite rude.

The reason I use the old Honda as a reference is because its half the bike, and quite old. I Just thought a 500 would be capable of it without changing the sprockets. I possibly thought, like my last quote says, my bike wasn't running the way it should be for optimum torque and hp.

Can anyone help?

Tank

Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 AM

Tank,

I am sorry if you felt it rude, that was not the intent. I was trying to give you some insight to my years of experience, I have been riding for 35 years and although some may find wheelies cool, etc, I did when I was a teenager and thought I was invinceable. But that was long ago, and as you get older and wiser, you gather a better appreciation for and try to take better care of your bike when YOU have to pay to fix it. I was merely trying to make a point that it does damage your bike. Nothing more.

Tim

Old 08-28-2006, 04:39 AM

Yeah, a wheelie is like doing a burnout with a car! It's a lot of fun, but hard on the car.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Tank, I just do not think that 500 would do very good power wheelies... You could prob clutch it, bit I am only guessing. I don't have a 500.... But anthing can wheelie. I had an old 800 lb Yamahog I could wheelie.

Prob change sprockets, and it would help a lot tho.. That old 185 was half the weight also, with a completely different weight distibution than the 500 has. I think the 500 stock only has like 18 ft lbs of torque, don't quote me on that though. I bet one of the 500 people around here will have a better answer for ya.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: CaddyDaddy

Yeah, a wheelie is like doing a burnout with a car! It's a lot of fun, but hard on the car.
Oh hell yeah!!!!!! I haven't done a burnout in so long!!!! Thanks for making me want to head right out and do one, right now!!! The Firebird does awesome burnouts!!!

Sorry, got a little excited there........

Old 08-29-2006, 02:03 AM

My mustang does too.

Your kind of right on the weight, but the honda weighs almost 300 lb. I dont know, I just expected more I guess. I have been looking at sprockets. Maybe someone can answer this question. Whats the most you want to add for teeth on the rear and lose on the front while still maintaining under 75000 RPM's at 70 mph. I'm sure its not much, I would like replies even if its an I Don't Know. Then I know people thought of answering.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tank

Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 AM

Hey Tank,

A place you might want to look for answers about the EX500 and wheelies, is Up On One someone posted a picture here in another thread that referenced that site. maybe it will help, they have a how - to section, if you can't find what you are looking for, maybe they have a forum. And take it easy, remember you have to fix it if it breaks.

Tim

Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Tank, I have not taken the time to figure up gear ratios compared to sprocket sizes, etc... A popular thing with the zx6 guys is -1+2

Don't know how that would do on the 500?? I personally am running a 48 rear tooth on my 10... Love it. A wheelie machine. Sometimes too easy.

It sounds like for what you are wanting to do, I would leave the front alone. A lot less stress on the front shaft. Go big in the rear. Your torque is from the rear sprocket anyway, as compared to the front. The rear will not make as big a difference as the front wheel tooth for tooth.

You might have all ready posted it, but what year 500 do you have? Any mods? Exhaust, Intake, etc.... Have you played with the suspension at all? Changed the rake? The bike comes out of the factory not designed to be a wheelie wonder. It has an aggressive head forward stance.

Do you know how to clutch a wheelie? Not to sound mean.....

Did not really answer your question......

Quick Reply: Question On the 500r's power