Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Default Oil Leak

My riding today was cut short due to the fact that I had a huge oil leak. I have no idea what it could be I checked the oil pan to see if there was a crack or anything but, there wasn't. When I was done riding there was a puddle of oil. So i have no idea what it is I going to get it professionally fixed but, what could it be worst case scenario? and how much would it cost?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil Leak

Need more info. Where leaking from?
Front side? Back side?

And most importantly, how long did you ride it with insufficient oil?
-CCinC

Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Sorry its coming from the from side around the oil pan area.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM

also sorry, I just bought the bike a little while ago and the guy i bought it from said he changed a few days before I got it.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

my 87 ex500 had a crankcase breather tube on the top of the motor towards the rear, and the people i bought it from started the bike then filled it up too the line[sm=loser.gif]so the first day i had it igot on the throttlea little and the hose blew off and spuwed oil all over. almost wiped me out[&:]check and make sure it's not over filled.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM

I didnt see the tube that you were talking about. But just wondering what is the worst that a it could be? Because I may have t prep myself for the worst... and how much would that be?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

here is a picture of the hose.... er rather, where the hose SHOULD be.

Name:  pic.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sbeedy01

I didnt see the tube that you were talking about. But just wondering what is the worst that a it could be? Because I may have t prep myself for the worst... and how much would that be?
An oil leak could be anything from a faulty gasket, to an improperly installed filter, to a broken line, to a blown motor, and infinate possibilities in between, with repair costs ranging from $10 to $1000+. There is really no need to prep for the worst yet, just get a thorough inspection of the motor, find the leak and then you cant start thinkingaboutthe fix. If the motor was running fine when you stopped, no loud noises or rough idle, then chances are nothing came loose on the inside. Assuming the engine was running fine when it stopped, and not seeing the bike,I would estimate maybe $50-$100 to fix it yourself (of course that is a blind estimate, since there is very little info to go off of) butdepending on the shop it may cost a whole lot more. Let us know what you find out

Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yup that be the hose that failed on mine. too much oil and that baby just blows off spewing.[:@]thanx for the pic dk
ORIGINAL: dragknee

here is a picture of the hose.... er rather, where the hose SHOULD be.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 PM

ok I guess i am missing that tube what is the name of it so I could buy one off line

Quick Reply: Oil Leak