Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Default RE: Oil Change

Thanks. Managed the oil and oil filter change last weekend and this week-end I'll give cleaning and adjusting the chain a shot. I appreciate the help. I'll take a look for your post.

Chris

Old 11-04-2006, 07:59 AM
1st Gear Member

bike work is so fun!!! if you can change the oil, the chain is no problem.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 AM

Nice shot -- like it better than you riding the bike vertically -- but I'm still trying to get my bike on to its centre-stand -- first things first for me until I get another 1,000 miles under my belt -- only about 1300 so far and still making some stupid beginner mistakes -- more with the mechanics of the thing than riding though. Take care man.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

curious here. Just pull back on the bars to set it on the center stand.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:45 PM

While seated on the bike ? I seem to have been having some trouble getting it on to the centre stand while standing by the side of the bike, pressing down on the foot peg for the stand with my right foot and then trying to pull back the front end of the bike to lift it on to the centre stand. It looked simple enough when the guy who sold me the bike showed me how to do it but I've been cautious because I didn't want to wind up throwing the bike down on the driveway.

Thanks.

Chris

Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Of course not while seated on the bike.
Right foot on stand, right hand under the tail, left hand on the bar. Lift and pull rearwards using the stand as the fulcrum.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:34 AM

I wasn't really serious about being seated on the bike!!! Let me give it another shot with your nice instructions. I wasn't really sure where to grab it on the front end -- so maybe that's been the problem. I think I was pulling the front end somewhere on the frame down below the gas tank rather than by the handlebars/steering column and I wasn't getting enough leverage to pull it up on to the centre stand. I'm not a 98-pound weakling but the bike does weigh a bit so you've got to use those laws of physics to their best advantage I guess.

Seriously, thanks.

Chris

Old 11-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

The foot keeps the "fulcrum" center stand down on the ground. The right hand under the sub frame actually lifts,supports and pulls rearward as the left hand stabilizes and helps with the rearward movement.

HAHAHA, sitting on the seat while doing that may prove difficult!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:04 AM

Piece of cake when you do it right -- just gotta' grab the right places!!! Thanks.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Did manage to get the chain cleaned and lubed without a problem but it got dark and I didn't have time to check the adjustment. Figuring these things out with your help as I go along. No rain tomorrow so I'll be riding. Thanks.

Who's headed up the East Coast over Thanksgiving ?

Chris

Quick Reply: Oil Change