'New' to the forum, question about fuel tank treatment

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 'New' to the forum, question about fuel tank treatment

Hello everybody! *hi dr. nick!*

I've been lurking for a bit - just thought i'd say hey! i've got a '90 EX500A, like my sig says... i'd been enjoying the 60 mpg for nearly a year, and almost 4k miles, but it would seem that neil young is right - rust never sleeps. unfortunately i've got better than a dozen holes in the fuel tank about the size of the head of a ballpoint pen, some a little larger. at the moment, when the weather is good, i'm using my alternate bike, a 1978 Yamaha XS 750 SE (750 special).

the bottom line is i need to get her back on the road, and to do so i need to A) stop the rust in the tank, B) treat the tank to stop more rust from forming, and C) patch the holes. of course, if someone has a good tank they would sell me at a reasonable price (i don't know if i trust what i find on ebay), that would be so much easier than doing all that repair work. i'm also looking for a good place to find the little covers that go where the rear axle bolt goes, i lost one about a month ago and need to replace it.

i know, i know, i'll get y'all some pictures, and post 'em ASAP

Mike

Old 06-03-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 'New' to the forum, question about fuel tank treatment

we welcome to the site. As for the tank you could get the tank patched then take it and have it lined with rust stop at a body shop. that should stop from rusting of the tank. Or you might want to chance getting one off ebay.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

By the time you did all of that, I think a new tank would be cheaper, line that one when you get it and call it done.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks fellas! at over six hundred beans for a new tank, i'm thinking that patching and treating will be done first... then as a last resort a new tank. is there a special chemical that i can get to line the tank myself? i'ma pretty DIY guy, which helps keep cost down. otherwise, i'd drive a toyota corolla... hopefully i can have this done by the end of the week.

geez. it's really getting hot now that moisture has returned to florida - sheesh!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure if you can pick up the linning material up or not you could probly look at a paint store that sells automotive paints they might have it.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds good, i'll make some calls tomorrow. my guess is that i should do some sort of phosphorous acid etch first before coating it... i REALLY don't feel like having to do this repair more than once, heck i'm not looking forward to having to fix it at all.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

umm you might want to shell out that money for a new tank then. that might actualy be easier then trying toline the tank.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

As far as replacement oem parts http://www.bikebandit.com has all ur factory oem parts you could ever think of. And hope the link is helpfull to you and anyone else wanting/needin oem parts. I shop there frequently i get ground shipping and it gets to me in less then a week.

not to get off topic came over to this side of the fourm cause im in the market for a ninja bike to ride on the road when im not on the trails with the dual sport klxjust incase anyone in my area knows of one for sale.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

bikebandit's is good, but kind of steep for the tank. i'm currently trying the ebay route to get a cheaper one, but it's not panning out that well, i may have to make a fix work. on the other hand, i'm looking at buying a newer 500, possibly an '01... muhahaha

Old 06-10-2007, 02:04 PM

Have a look at a product called POR-15. www.por15.com
It is a kit with a tank cleaner (acid based, cleans out the rust) and then a sealant.
The sealant is like crazy glue mixed with aluminum paint.
I have used it and had excellent results.
PQ