New Bike...helmet lock!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 AM
WAX
Default New Bike...helmet lock!!!

I have not posted since I bought my bike. My digital camera is dead. When I buy batteries...I'll post some pics. So here is the deal I got: lime green 2006 Ninja 500 mint still under warranty 1700 miles for $3300 out the door. I thought I negotiated a good deal. Here is my question: How in the hell do you attach/lock your helmet to the bike's helmet lock system without incinerating your helmet on the muffler. Please advise, anyone.

wax

Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Bike...helmet lock!!!

Funny you should bring this up. I did a post not too long ago about my 250R having the same problem. I guess the 500 has the helmet lock in about the exact same place according to another 500 rider. There really wasn't a good way to take care of this problem, but if you like, here's a link to my old post:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_51260/tm.htm

Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 AM

Get an aftermarket lock installed onto the back of the bike (cheap) or get a 2-1 exhaust (expensive) or throw it on your handles or just carry it proudly like yeah thats my bike whatchoogonnado about it...................... Helmet bags work also

Old 08-08-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the 500 has a pretty poorly located helmet lock. Even with an extension the helmet will still hit the pipes and end up a sticky polysomethingorother mess. If I have to/want to leave my helmet on the bike I use a padlock and run it through the D-rings on the helmet strap and lock it to the grab bar. Cost about $3 for a good lock and that grab bar isn't going anywhere either. The nice thing is even if someone nudges the bike the helmet isn't going to hit the ground or the exhaust.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Okay - the guy that I bought my bike from, made a little modification using c clamps. Hard to explain exactly how he did, but they work great (I used mine for the first time last weekend).

I will try to remember to get some pics of it tonight and if I do, I'll post tomorrow.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:52 AM

nice choice of bike, isn't that green just sooooooo sweeeeeet....... wow 3300 thats half of what i paid..cool as for the helmet lock, "what helmet lock?" if kawasaki considers that little sliding piece of crap a real helmet lock then i would have to question kawasaki's integrity of doing things properly...hee hee hee!!!!! I use that little sliding thingy to hold my glasses when i'm not riding, hee hee hee. yes i agree with the others get either an aftermarket one or get the helmet extensoin piece made for those so called sliding thingys. and can't get myself to actually call it a helmet lock. hee hee hee... sorry i wasn't any help...

Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 AM
WAX

I purchased a gun lock...it was perfect size to store under the seat and the perfect length to secure the helmet to the rear grab bar!!! SWEEEET!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Perfect... Gun locks are like WD40..lol

Old 08-29-2006, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WAX

I purchased a gun lock...it was perfect size to store under the seat and the perfect length to secure the helmet to the rear grab bar!!! SWEEEET!!!
do you have a pic?

Old 08-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

this is a gun lock

gun

lock

got it

Quick Reply: New Bike...helmet lock!!!