Moto GP race at Leguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Default Moto GP race at Leguna Seca

First of all, Im hoping I spelled that properly.

I am interested in coming out to it next year, did any of you go this past time? I dont know much about it, but its in California right? What city is it closest to?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Moto GP race at Leguna Seca

You already buy your tickets?

Old 01-03-2007, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

It is in centeral California near Monteray. http://www.laguna-seca.com/

Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 AM

Hi Jamie,

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear that you're lime green since that is one of the most unpleasant colors I know of. But I'm a man of deepsubstance soI'll get past your looks.

Secondly, Laguna Seca(that's how its spelled)is near Monterey, California, not Monterrey, Mexico. That's a little south of Santa Cruz and even a little further south of San Jose and San Francisco, but if you're flying there the nearest major airport is San Jose. Flying on to Monterey can be done but it'll probably cost you more than renting a car or bike or catching a bus or train, etc. from San Jose.

Thirdly, if you bring your bike, you've really got to be careful on the track. When the Pope was there years ago back in the late 80s or90she fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his Popemobile and they really never cleaned up all the debris from that wreck. The Catholics covered the whole thing up andburned the tape of the accident and replaced the Pope with a body-double. It was a real mess and a real scandal!!! But that was probably a couple Popes back.

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend your religious sensibilities or your sense of vanity and if you're lime green because you're a Martian then I reallydo apologize, I guess its genetic.

Seriously, as far as Laguna Seca goes, its supposed to be a good track and the hills and roads around that area are great for biking, though I didn't have a bike when I lived in California. If you have a chance you can often catch some good races at Laguna Seca on Speed Channel if you want to get an idea what the track is like and what the area looks like. Take a look at the Speed Channel website and see if it'll let you do a search forraces at Laguna Seca. It's really a nice part of the world so if you can make it out there it'll probably be some fun for you.

Take care,

Chris

Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

I've attended about three Champ Car races and a Skip Barber 3-Day racing school at Laguna Seca. IMO the best track in the U.S. for both spectating and driving. I usually fly into San Jose airport, rent a car, and drive down. I think its about 2-2.5 hours drive from the airport to Monterey. Monterey is absolutely beautiful btw and I highly recommend checking out the Aquarium and Cannery Row. There's plenty of hotels/motels in the area, but you need to book well in advance when there's an event at the track as they fill up real quick. The world-famous "Cork-Screw is an excellent place to spectate, just show up early with your folding chairs, picnic blanket and plenty of water. If the MotoGP races are like the other events, you can purchase some really cool packages which include pit passes, reserved seating and all the food and drink (beer & soda) you can handle. If you have the time, show up a day early and you can watch all the practices and other activities.

Might be fun to get a group of folks from the forum together and buy some tickets.....I'd be up for it.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: j_christopherhall

Hi Jamie,

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear that you're lime green since that is one of the most unpleasant colors I know of. But I'm a man of deepsubstance soI'll get past your looks.

Secondly, Laguna Seca(that's how its spelled)is near Monterey, California, not Monterrey, Mexico. That's a little south of Santa Cruz and even a little further south of San Jose and San Francisco, but if you're flying there the nearest major airport is San Jose. Flying on to Monterey can be done but it'll probably cost you more than renting a car or bike or catching a bus or train, etc. from San Jose.

Thirdly, if you bring your bike, you've really got to be careful on the track. When the Pope was there years ago back in the late 80s or90she fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his Popemobile and they really never cleaned up all the debris from that wreck. The Catholics covered the whole thing up andburned the tape of the accident and replaced the Pope with a body-double. It was a real mess and a real scandal!!! But that was probably a couple Popes back.

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend your religious sensibilities or your sense of vanity and if you're lime green because you're a Martian then I reallydo apologize, I guess its genetic.

Seriously, as far as Laguna Seca goes, its supposed to be a good track and the hills and roads around that area are great for biking, though I didn't have a bike when I lived in California. If you have a chance you can often catch some good races at Laguna Seca on Speed Channel if you want to get an idea what the track is like and what the area looks like. Take a look at the Speed Channel website and see if it'll let you do a search forraces at Laguna Seca. It's really a nice part of the world so if you can make it out there it'll probably be some fun for you.

Take care,

Chris
uummmm!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I think Chris had a little too much to drink. Never been to LS but know the track pretty well from the Gran Turismo series and Tourist Trophy, which represented the course with very little error as I'm told.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I had fun at MotoGP these last 2 years. The only thing that sucked was the parking. We drove (big mistake) next time we will take our bikes. The city came up with this great plan to shuttle people in who drove cars. Well their plan to get people out was horrible. We waited in line for almost 3 hours just to get on a bus. It was 115 degrees out and the fire department had to come out and giveaway water because people kept passing out and getting heat strokes. It was crazy. But watching the races was worth the pain I suppose. I have no idea how the city is going to handle the parking situation this year but they probably got it posted on the website. Good luck maybe I will see you there.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member

i went last year and already have tickets and a camp site for this coming years event!!!
as suprakawigrl pointed out leaving the event was a nightmare..... imagin almost everyone wanting to leave at the same time.... ouch!!!

this year, we're taking our bikes and have a camp site at the track so should be a lot more pleasant, hopefully!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

you got the campsite, I'll bring the beer.If only I could go

Where you been Kali?

Quick Reply: Moto GP race at Leguna Seca