The most dangerous ride...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default The most dangerous ride...

I was reading a prestigous science journal this afternoon foreboding my upcoming organic chem class. While sifting through the magazine I came upon an article that was regarding the psychology of driving. The piece dwelt mostly on the fear of driving alternative transportation. It explained graphically that services such as planes and trains are much safer compared to cars and so on. I was about to finish up when I noticed at the far left of the graph a exceptionally colorful bar on the graph...it was MOTORCYCLES. It showed that motorcycles are by far the most death provoking way to get your a** on the road. It didn't surprise me that motorcycles were the most dangerous means of rational transportation but rather to what it extent (if these science wizards reports are true). It showed that you have an eminent 96.5% mortality likely for every million miles travel compared to cars at something like 2%. Do the math and life devoted bikes are in for it.I did some calculation and at the rate I am driving a year right now with previous miles logged I'll probably(more than 50%) be worm food around fifty. Not to be hystirical, but HOLY SH** Its pretty demoralizing. I am counting on some ambiguos statistics. They probably counted all the scooter accidents Lol.Does this sound right anyway?

Note: I am going to post the article once I can get a personal copy just in case I missed something(likely); probably monday night.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I believe it. I've only ridden a little more than 300,000 miles and I've had several close calls and two accidents that were almost fatal.
And every single time I listen to the traffic report on the radio, I hear the words "fatal motorcycle crash." (Without exception.)
Sure they're dangerous, but I happily addicted and have no desire to get cured.
There are worse habits, but still people do them.

Would you rather spend your last two months in a ho$pice ward, struggling against cancer; or would you rather enjoy your life and spend your last two seconds thinking "OH $#IT!"

Peace and safe riding!
-CCinC

Old 10-03-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by volvo9de40
I was reading a prestigous science journal this afternoon foreboding my upcoming organic chem class. While sifting through the magazine I came upon an article that was regarding the psychology of driving. The piece dwelt mostly on the fear of driving alternative transportation. It explained graphically that services such as planes and trains are much safer compared to cars and so on. I was about to finish up when I noticed at the far left of the graph a exceptionally colorful bar on the graph...it was MOTORCYCLES. It showed that motorcycles are by far the most death provoking way to get your a** on the road. It didn't surprise me that motorcycles were the most dangerous means of rational transportation but rather to what it extent (if these science wizards reports are true). It showed that you have an eminent 96.5% mortality likely for every million miles travel compared to cars at something like 2%. Do the math and life devoted bikes are in for it.I did some calculation and at the rate I am driving a year right now with previous miles logged I'll probably(more than 50%) be worm food around fifty. Not to be hystirical, but HOLY SH** Its pretty demoralizing. I am counting on some ambiguos statistics. They probably counted all the scooter accidents Lol.Does this sound right anyway?

Note: I am going to post the article once I can get a personal copy just in case I missed something(likely); probably monday night.
I think you read that wrong. They are saying %96.5 chance 1 person will die for every million miles not for every person who travels those million miles.

34% of statistics are BS anyway!