Mirrors and my general riding musings

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Default Mirrors and my general riding musings

I just ordered the 98-02 zx6 oem replacement mirrors. Gosh, I should have checked in with you guys first but i got excited about the thought of seeing more than my elbows. I paid 50 for both of them. I Cannot see at all out of the current mirrors and I had seen those suggested by a few people. I hope they work out and I hope I didnt overpay.

On another note. I have been riding my bike all week since I got my gear: Shoei tz-r, Frank thomas jacket, and Icon pursuit gloves.

Riding has been exhilirating so far. although it did take me a couple rides on the freeway to get used to the wind. Overall I have been really happy with how solid and stable the bike feels. Having read the forums for the past few months, it has been so cool to finally experience what the buzz is about and actually be out on the road. I find myself doing some of the things that were mentioned in a habit thread recently: counting out gears, removing my visor at stoplights, and talking and singing to myself in my helmet ! although I still dont look to the left when I upshift?

I am finally shifting smoothly and not going into curves too slow (I started out really slow). I think the nsf helped alot. But it is so true that people are not aware of you if you dont keep good spacing, go through intersections slow and drive at a safe speed. It is still scary out there and I try my best to be as safe as possible. It also helps to have a community of people that are more experienced to turn to for help so thanks all!!!

I think my only problem now will be the car sitting in my garage collecting dust that I pay way too much for

Old 10-11-2006, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Mirrors and my general riding musings

Good for you, starting out slow in corners. It's a lot wiser than trying to banzai corners and risking a crash before you've developed the instincts.
I've ridden more than a quarter-million miles, but still low-sided two weeks ago, breaking three ribs and totally destroying the bike. The ribs are healing and I'm shopping around for another. (At least now I've got a parts bike I can cannibalize engine internals from.)

And good for you getting those mirrors. I think you'll be happy with them. They not only work better, but I think they transform the overall look the bike for the better:

Good luck and ride safely!
-CCinC

Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Chris, who is Angel's friend?

Let us know how those mirrors turn out marx, enjoy the ride

Old 10-11-2006, 11:45 PM

I have also been very interested in changing my mirrors, but have hesitated doing so thus far for fear that I'd end up ordering the wrong ones. Let us know how those mirrors work out (pics are always nice), and if they do "bolt right on", perhaps you could indicate where you purchased them.

Take care,
Greg ('06 500R)

Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you mean you paid 50 bux total for them? That's a great price. Where did you find these?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The mirrors do indeed bolt directly on with no modification. If cost is a concern, Emgo makes cheaper aftermarket mirrors that are outwardly identical to the '98-'02 ZX6R mirrors that also bolt directly on to our 500's.

And hey Prom.
He's Buddy, my Mom's dog. We were puppysitting him, and Ma didn't know Buddy was riding around with us all weekend. (She just assumed that both dogs wouldn't fit on the bike, but didn't exactly specify ~not~ to take him riding.) After more than 50,000 miles of riding, Angel is jaded to the point that riding on the bike is pretty much like riding in the car. But riding is still a novel adventure to Buddy. Whenever he see another dog, he sits up straight and barks at them, "Look at this $hit man! I'm ridin' a motorcycle."

That boy seriously loves the wind in his face, (and he's a little more friendly with strangers, which makes him a better chick-magnet.)
-CCinC

Old 10-12-2006, 12:06 AM

Yeah, I did pay 50 bucks total. I went to a local dealer who ordered them for me at 25 a piece. Ill get them friday and update you guys over the weekend as to fit, ease of installation and looks.
They are aftermarket copies from bikemaster.com.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:21 AM

hey chris,

Is that a w650? if so, what is it like to ride compared to the ninja? Also , I hope you heal soon!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Ahoy Marx. It is indeed. I've got 54,000 miles on mine and I seriously love that bike! It's got a 360-degree firing order, which is more balanced than the 500R's 180.
The W650 has more torque, but the 500R has more horsepower on top. In a drag race the 500 will eventually walk away from the W650, (and indeed it will do the same to all air-cooled big-twin Harleys), but the W650 is VERY smooth at low-rpm. It's a slightly more fun cruiser for putt-putting around town and it's also slightly better passenger bike.
The 500 has a more comfortable seat, but they both have a good all-day riding position. I rode 1171 miles in 22 hours on my W650 once, but it would have been easier on the 500R. Both bikes could definitely use more cornering clearance.

-CCinC

Old 10-12-2006, 06:47 AM

(Calamari) Chris,
Really glad that (it sounds like) you're feeling better. I was going to say this as a reply to your previous post in which you described your accident. I was also going to ask you (jokingly of course) how much you wanted for those (new) used tires . Anyway, I didn't want to sound like a jerk since I don't know you personally, so i decided to just let it be.

Take care and thanks for your informative posts!
Greg ('06 500R)

Quick Reply: Mirrors and my general riding musings