Mirror extensions and Clip Ons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Default Mirror extensions and Clip Ons?

I picked up a used 2004 Ninja 500 about 6 months ago and am considering doing a few mods to it. right now it's all stock. Mainly just comfort/safety mods. Just wanted to get some feedback on them. The two big ones i'm considering are mirror extensions and some clip ons.

Here are the mirror extensions. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2516/139/They seem a little spendy but being able to see behind me seems like it would be worth it. I'm 6'2" and right now i can only see my elbowsin the mirrors. I have to tuck my elbow in and lean out to the side to see behind me. Quite annoying.

Also i went to the kawasaki dealer the other day and sat on a ZX 6R and my god do i love the angle of the handlebars. I tend to put too much weight onthe outside edge of my palm when i'm riding. I thinkhavingbars that are angled down more would help a bit.Been looking at what mods you can do for something similar on the 500. So far i've seen http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Woodcraft_...-on_Risers.htmand http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Woodcraft_37mm_Clip-ons.htm. The first looks like it would work better. The second seems like it would have issues with hitting the tank and i wouldn't be able to lock the wheel when parked. I'm also interested in just how difficult it is to take the controls off of the stock bars and put them on the new ones.

I also bought a $5 digital watch from wall mart to strap to myhandle barsand ordered some replacement grips today. Just wanted something a little more soft andgrippy if you know what i mean.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Default RE: Mirror extensions and Clip Ons?

I think the problem with the mirrors is a common problem because i have the same issues and i'm only 5'6". When i need to see behind me i tuck in my elbows and turn my head a little to see if i can see anything in myperipheral vision. I havn't looked at mirror extensions before but they look like they could be helpful. I'd just worry about them being too long making it look like your bike has ant antennas.

Regarding your question about taking the controls off the bars. I haven't done anything with my handle bars but I have helped my dad strip his handle bars and replace them with completely different handle bars and he has a Honda VTX 1800 very easily. Everything is held on with a couple screws so if its the same with the ex500 then you should have no problems.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You can replace the mirrors altogether with the Emgo aftermarket replacement for the ZZR600. They stick out more than an inch wider than the stockers, they vibrate less and they transform the look of the bike, IMO:

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
-Chris in C'bad

Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the advice on the mirrors. Are these the model your talking about? http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...ion_Path~3.asp

Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Those do indeed appear to be the right mirrors. I noticed that the mounts on my 500R mirrors looked identical to my ZX9R mirrors and was pleasantly surprised to see that they bolted on with no mods, spacers or additional parts needed.
I splurged and got the Kawasaki part numbers, so I can't tell you for certain that the Emgos will vibrate less than the stock 500 mirrors, but they do indeed bolt directly on with no modification. You can even use the same acorn nuts and rubber pad/washers.
They are about an inch and a half lower, but they stick out at least an inch wider.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-Chris in C'bad, CA

Old 04-15-2007, 08:14 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

I just installed the Emgo's today. The quality is...well...let's just say you get what you pay for.However they do provide much better visibility...I can see more than my elbows and shoulders now.
Not a bad deal I guess when you consider the price. They look cool too.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 AM

I ordered these from bikebandit also and installed about a week ago and am gladI did it. I think it was $40.00 for the pair as apposed to $88.00 apiece from a dealer. We are starting to do some light touring and am grateful to find all the tips and mods that helps to make a good ride even better.

Phil

Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

re: the clip ons question.

you'll probably want the lowered riser type. if you have no fairing, the other ones will work (the actual clip on type). you will almost hit the tank at full lock (but how often do you get that way when riding) and you will still be able to lock the bars too... although on mine, with no fairing, its not the tank that hits, but its the radiator fill cap and teh overflow bottle. it doesnt even really hit it, more like grazes it.

here is a pic showing what the lowered riser type looks like compared to the stock bar:

as for putting the controls on, its really very simple. you do have to drill some holes in the bar though, for the anti-rotation pegs on the switches though.

the left side was easy, as it has a pin that you just punch out, get the controls where you want them, then hit it with the drill and reinstall the pin.

the right side was easy too, but it has no pin, it has a little plastic nub that sticks out. what i did was shave that nub off. drilled a small diameter hole through the back of the control, put it where i wanted it, then drilled my hole into the bar, and then used a screw about one size bigger than the hole to hold those puppies in place.

here is a pic of my bike, with the regular clip on type:

Name:  S5030332.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  207.4 KB