Looking for some upgrades HELP ME OUT PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Default Looking for some upgrades HELP ME OUT PLEASE!

Hey guys, I just picked up an '03 500R yesterday. It's the smallest bike I've ever owned (coming from an R1, Superhawk, R6, GSXR1100, Ducati 620 I.E., etc). Money was tight, but I had to have something to ride (some guy ran me into a pole on my last bike, Ducati 620) so after recovering I went with the famous 500R. Never heard a bad thing about it and I got a good deal. My problem is that I'm used to being on one wheel (front & rear) and this bike just won't do what I want it too. I know its not designed for it and I don't plan to push it near as hard as my other bikes, but I still wanted to have some fun. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a good chain and sprocket kit (maybe 4-6 up in rear and 1 down in front), Crash bars (or at least frame sliders), 12 bar, dual front disk conversion kit, steering dampner, and anything else that might make it a little more fun on those deserted roads or bike night? Any help or advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks, -Seth

Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Default RE: Looking for some upgrades HELP ME OUT PLEASE!

Dude, by the time you are finished with all this you may as well have bought something else, know what Im saying?

Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 PM

naw, cause I would have done most of those things on a larger bike too, but i couldn't have done the initial cost of the larger bike and the upgrades, but with the initial cost of the 500R being so much lower it gave me some room to play with. Plus, I don't plan to do all of those upgrades, basicly I'm just looking for a good store/site/forum that might have a few. So I listed all of those to see if any of them rang a bell for anyone.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dabaum_85
My problem is that I'm used to being on one wheel (front & rear) and this bike just won't do what I want it too.
Impressive...
IMO, the cheapest/smartest way to make a bike faster is to sell it and buy a faster bike.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:12 AM

Look, I'm not here to impress anyone, **** anyone off, or get smart a$$ answers from people who think they know what they are talking about. I just wanted to see if anyone had any good mod sites or retailers that they have used for their 500R. We are all riders here and we all have our own rideing style that we enjoy. Just because yours might be different don't waste your time and mine with BS replies. Don't bother posting if you have nothing useful to say.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 AM

whoa, getting all jumpy and offended, lol, dude its a 500r the body style hasnt changed since 1987 and it will never do what you want it to do, were not being rude, were just telling you the truth.....

Old 10-07-2006, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Old 10-07-2006, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dabaum_85

Look, I'm not here to impress anyone, **** anyone off, or get smart a$$ answers from people who think they know what they are talking about. I just wanted to see if anyone had any good mod sites or retailers that they have used for their 500R. We are all riders here and we all have our own rideing style that we enjoy. Just because yours might be different don't waste your time and mine with BS replies. Don't bother posting if you have nothing useful to say.
Sorry if it hurt your feelings, but I earnestly meant what I said and believe it's useful advice: The cheapest/smartest way to make a bike faster is to sell it and buy a faster bike.
A donkey will carry you much faster than a german shepherd can, no matter how how fancy you dress up the dog.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:24 PM

that last post is GOLD, I wish chicks understood that

Old 10-08-2006, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Most of the mods I have seen people do on the 500R are mainly visual. There are a few performance mods such as exhaust sprocket adjustments, and someone mentioned a jet kit, dunno if they ever found it. But even with all these I have never heard of a sustained one wheel ride on a 500. It is a great bike and you will love it as long as you own it, but if you want it on one wheel I would sugest riding the 500 until you are financially able to move back to a bike you are more used to. The good news is regardless of mods you can ride your 500 for at least 2 seasons without noticeable depriciation. As long it is well kept its like a savings account you can ride.

Quick Reply: Looking for some upgrades HELP ME OUT PLEASE!