Looking at a EX 500 to buy, need mechanical knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Default Looking at a EX 500 to buy, need mechanical knowledge

Hey guys, Im new just stopped into this section right away, Im looking at a 2 owner EX 500 with 35K miles. All the service has been done at the correct intervals. For this bike have you guys had any problems with the 30K + mile bikes? any issues from electrcial to mechanical like valves and rockers or springs? Im just using it as a commuter to save my Ducati, Ive owned 3 new ZX6R's and love Kawis and have owned a EX 250 as a starter bike but never owned a 500.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

What yr of EX are you looking at? Hit up EX500.com for more reviews. There are some weaknesses to this engine more on certain yrs than others. Electrical and mechanical. I have had good luck with my 2005 so far, but I am not at your mileage stage just yet. The CCT (cam chain tensioner) is the sameo crap kawi tensioner that needs adjusted often. The crankshaft is not made for racing purposes, so you are good there. The speedo cable works loose from the gear at the cluster, so blue locktite fixes that. There was a report of magnets breaking out of the stator on the first gen rides I think it was. I would have to look that one back up to really say much about that one. If you fall over, the turn signal gets pushed into the full fairing and frickin breaks everything! hmmm, otherwise I still like to use mine as a daily ride plus fairly long trips of 2000 miles or so.

Welcome to KF

Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 AM

sorry about that, I posted in the welcome area after this haha, but this a 2005 Ex 500, so its bit newer and was used often, the owner does his own maintenance and so I would have to ask about the CCT and cam wear. Bike tracks straight and and they said it runs quite but thats by their word, never been dropped or downed, really clean and good cosmetically for a 500. all the others for sale have been downed multiple times. how many miles do you have on yours?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You would not have to ask about the CCT, you can hear it over the smooth engine. (roll the bike backwards with it in second gear and the clutch engaged. Pop the clutch as you are rolling it backwards) this will adjust the CCT for ya most of the time.

mileage on mine is really low. I think maybe 7k miles. I used it for my west coast run a few yrs back. Hit Vancouver, then headed southeast to grassvalley, OR for a track weekend, then back down to Nevada. But it is my go to ride for any smaller commutes. (this ride does not like to pass well with a 75 mile speed limit.) Need to drop down a couple of gears to make that one work. lol

Old 03-02-2013, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the info, very much appreciated! we'll see if I get it tomorrow, I was looking at 250's but they are just too small haha, The bike would be making a 30 mile round trip commute daily to my job and I take back roads as the free way is packed with morning sleeping drivers doin mak up or on the phone not seeing us bikes. This thing will not be raced but still have some spirted rides so i think she'll hold up for another 20K miles

Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I hear ya on the ninja 250. I prefer the 500 for my stuff, I also ride a 2007 ninja 250, but for daily stuff, the 500 is the ride for me with just the correct balance of get out of the way or comfort. The 2fiddy is an all out canyon ride, not a daily commute ride.

edit: at least for me that is. No insults meant towards fellow 2fiddy riders out there.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 AM

Well i did not buy that one, It was really nice cosmetically but when it fired up, all sorts of mayhem was happening in the valvetrain, tapping and slapping, owner has no papers from the previous owner, does not knwo current condition of the cams so I walked after they dropped the price to 1300 bucks, still walked, it was beat mechanically