Laminar Lip

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Laminar Lip

ORIGINAL: calamarichris

I never wear gloves when riding with the dog. It's both a reminder to take it easy while she's with me AND if anything ever happened to her, I'd just as soon go through life without my thumbs.
Thank you ATGATT-overlord.
Peace!
-CCiNC
and what if something happened to the dog because a truck kicked up some rockes that hit your bare hands and made you wreck?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Laminar Lip

Ok, I think I got it down to where it should be. The Lipis really sensitive to placement, more than expected. There seems to be a little bit of an exponential at play as well. Within just under 1/4" of the standard height (1" above stock screen) there is little difference going higher, but going lower makes a big difference.
This morning I was getting bounced around a bit so I thought a little more was needed. Though like I said it's difficult to know just how much difference there is if you don't see the results back to back. So tonight at work as the bike was warming up I lowered the Lip 1/4" and noticed a definite difference. The wind was 12-15mph just like this morning so that didn't change and the traffic was moving the same and with the same congestion. At about 55mph the turbulance was far less than even this morning.
This will be the permanent position of it now. It is actually a hair under the standard recommended position. I am 6' tall but have a long torso, so I guestimate it's similar to someone 6'2" or so, so I am right in the flow of air. Obviously the attachment height will be different for others.
The wind noise is greater than the stock windscreen but you will gladly overlook it when your head doesn't bounce around the whole time.
Just a side note, the Laminar Lip attaches with 3M Dual Lock fasteners. They are disks about 3/4" around and are stuck to the windscreen with an adhesive that cures slowly but to a very strong hold. They do provide a very secure fit, but they are a real pain in the butt to move or adjust. You do get extras for this, but with the amount of trials you will need to get it right you may need to go another route. I believe that now that it's in it's final location I may use rubber grommets and nylon bolts to hold it on.
I promise to get some better pics up to let you all see better what it looks like.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Okay, I got the Laminar Lip for my bike and it made things worse for my dogs on the bike.
It did appear to raise the deflection of the air from the windshield, but 2-inches at the very most.
For my purposes, the Lip did not achieve the desired effect. But my purposes are perhaps different than a typical rider's:

~The primary aim was to make things more comfortable for both dogs. It made things considerably worse for the dog stuck riding in the rear (strapped to my chest.)

~The lip obstructed the view for both dogs. I used a clear Lip, but the vision-distorting bend meant that the dogs were both trying to look over or under it, making their ride less pleasant.

~Most of my riding is done below 50mph. My 500 is primarily my workhorse/around-town bike. Surface streets with dogs @ <50mph. However, I acknowledge that higher speeds might make it more beneficial for a rider who doesn't have to worry about his dogs' eyes & ears.

So in conclusion. I'll send this Lip to the first $40. You'll have to get replacement stick-on pads from 3M (or from Laminar Lip), and the lip is NOT brand-new. There are no visible scratches, but the lip is in good (but not perfect) condition.

Email me off the list: calamarichris@yahoo.com

Peace and safe-riding!
-CCinC

Old 08-13-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

After about 2600 miles with mine installed I admit there are limitations to it's effectiveness. Speed is a factor as is wind direction.
I do not ride with passengers, canine or otherwise, so I am the only one it affects.
I'm on the highway everyday so it does benefit me.

Last edited by fnpaulie; 08-13-2008 at 01:51 AM.