I wreck my bike...do it will be total?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I wreck my bike...do it will be total?

Hi

I'm okay...it happen last week and I was full gear. I have broken bone in my left wrist...

It happen in town last Monday afternoon. I didn't have a stop and the SUV didn't see me when the driver did her stop (she said because of an other truck that was finishing crossing in reverse side of me)...and when I saw her she was almost in front of me and I was over/pass the walk line for people...I hit the brake (front and back) and clutch...but I just entered in the side doors instead of been push by the truck...I fall on the left side with my bike over me...same if it was in town and at low speed it happen really fast...

My bike is in bad shape...twist handle bars, plastic twist and broke (over tire, front, gas tank), left mirror and not standard left turn signal broke too, front rim of tire bend too.

Do you really thing my bike should be totalled? :'(
Do I should bring it to my favorite dealer than they can give me their opinion or just believe the insurance guy (he looks at it for 5-10min max)?

Some pictures:

If they total it how much I should get for it. It's a 2003 with almost 14k miles on it. It have a brand new battery, spark plugs and air filter since the spring. It have also brand new tires for less than 600miles...the motor is starting fine still and not touch.

Thank

Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Ouch. Glad you're okay.
By the time you've replaced the fairing, tank, fork and wheel, it will be about $4000. And since the bike costs only $5100 brand-new, your insurance company will probably just give you KBB retail value for it. ($2990, according to KBB.com in my zip code.)
In the long run, it would be most cost-effective for you to simply buy the parts online and repair it yourself, but if you don't have the tools or time...
I broke four bones in my hand back in '99 and managed to heal them all within a month (so I could resume surfing) by giving up coffee, soft drinks, and eating half of a fresh pineapple every day. The doctor couldn't believe it, but he gave his grudging approval to resume surfing. The waves were epic that year, thanks to El Nino.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
-Chris in C'bad

Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

P.S. The next time you have access to alcohol, please pour yourself a tall one and drink a toast to surviving. We tend to look at the negative aspects when something like this happens, but every time I walk away from a totalled bike, I always drink a toast.

You were probably going faster than Christopher Reeves was when it happened...

Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

amen.

plastic alone usually totals a bike out. it looks like yout forks are twisted, whick would let me wonder if the frame is straight now..

if the frame isn't straight, it's an instant total-out. UNLESS you talk the insurance company into getting the bike on a computrak ad getting it straightened out..

forks and wheel are gonna be bad enough, let alone plastic and other parts.

i hope that you can fix it! hate to see a bike totalle out.

very glad to hear you're o.k. like chris said, it could have been worse.
go after the other driver if possible!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank for your answer.

I'm glad to be okay and I will for sure have a drink for that now that I stopped painkiller. My wrist is still hurting with some bad move but I prefer to have some pain than to be snoozing all the time.