How to carry stuff on bike and then carry it with you

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Default How to carry stuff on bike and then carry it with you

When I commute on my 500R , I need to
[ul][*]carry "stuff" (lunch box, book, etc) + a gallon of water to the train station. (The "stuff" all fits in one backpack, the water does not)[*]carry the "stuff" + gallon of water + jacket + gloves (gloves fit in backpack) onto the train[*]lock my helmet so I don't have to carry it (still working on how to do that...)[*]carry all this from train to shuttle and finally into my place of work.[*]I keep shoes at work so I don't have to walk in my biker boots all day[/ul]
Obviously I could wear the backpack and put everything but the galllon of water in there. So I need a way to carry the gallon of water on the bike. I also don't like wearing the backpack so I'd like to strap it somewhere, but that's not required.

Your first reaction is probably to get some sort of tank or saddle bag, but the problem is, the tank or saddle bag will be ONE MORE THING that I have to carry on the train with me, won't it? I would not want the tank or saddle bag stolen. They are not cheap.

I'm anxious to hear your ideas on how to do this, and then I have an even tougher problem... come autumn I will need to drop my son at school on the way to the train station, so I need to be able to have someone sit on the back seat, AND he has a backpack as well, that I guess he will be wearing! So he can't wear my backpack, and I can't have the backpack on the back seat, and I don't think I can wear a backpack and have him ride behind me.

I welcome all ideas. thanks!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How to carry stuff on bike and then carry it with you

One word....Camelbak

It's what we carry gas, lunch, water and first aid kits in. And the best thing is you can drink while you're riding. Mmmmmmm Lemon water.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

get a car bro really all that stuff and your son wich adds an extra helmet too. i think once you get the whole sha bang on the bike it might be a little hard to manuver and could be dangerous in the end result....IMO

Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok then this.

Hey I wonder if that's a Cowasaki? Sorry I couldn't help it.[8D]

Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 PM

Sounds like too much stuff to me. How about a bottled water and just freeze it the night before and refill it at work when you need it. The book could be either left at work in your desk or get a lunch bagthat the book can fit into. They also make larger tank bags that shouldhold your stuff, hence the need to leave the backpack at home. As far as having your son on the back, I would figure out a secure way to leave my stuff at work so that he can have full use of th epassenger seat cause most likely he's gonna have a book bag on his back. Take your helmet with you. It's not worth it to come back to your ride and have it missing or worse (bird poop, spit, water, rain, etc). Condense, condense, condense.How old is your son?? If heis old enough to go to school where he has a locker, he can keep his helmt there, if he is in elementary school, you will need to carry his and yours. Not exactly ideal. Basically, I just think condensing your load is in order.I have a Cortech tail bag that fits everything I need for a day of work,it's a pain to carry it into work, but I have all my stuff in one bag. Just a few thoughts, hope that helps out a little.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I carry a ton of crud on my bike too, and I used to recommend a shoulder bag like Timbuk2, because while you're astride the bike, the weight of the bag rests on your passenger seat, but is held securely enough by the shoulder strap. But I can no longer recommend that because after years of carrying engine cases and haybales around, I finally got sciatica.

Sciatica is a good cure for will-to-live. You don't want it, so I recommend getting a Tourmaster Cortech trunkbag, which bungees securely to your bike and has a handy luggage carrying handle (it's the red bag at inset):

Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Chris, this is exactly waht I was referring to. I have the red set, which matched my 91 red EX500, guess I need the blue set now! This bag holds a sh**load of stuff. Take it from a girl, cause ya know we don't go anywhere without a bunch of stuff! Even if it's just overnight.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Where have I seen this picture before? Advrider? Thumpertalk?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Where have I seen this picture before? Advrider? Thumpertalk?

holy crap, no gloves.. i'd rather ride with no jacket than no gloves.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 AM

I appreciate the replies! You guys are great.

Here is where I think I'm headed. Let me know if you can improve on this.
[ul][*]Everything goes in my tank bag if I am carrying it to work, so I don't wear a backpack. The tank bag is magnetic and I take it with me. I have not decided if I will take my helmet or leave it. I may just take it with me; there's lots of hot chicks on the train![*]My son is 9 and has the back seat to himself; he carries his school stuff in his backpack. He takes his helmet and gloves to school with him so I don't have to worry about those; he takes all his stuff with him.[*]I won't carry the water. I'll haul that to work in my truck; one weeks' worth at a time on the days when I take my truck cuz I have to do grocery shopping once a week.[/ul]

Quick Reply: How to carry stuff on bike and then carry it with you