Hey guys...yet another newbie question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hey guys...yet another newbie question..

hahaha calamarichris, I still like the way you think. But I still have a question. Does the 500 have a crossover tube on the exhaust? I totally agree with you on the exhaust backpressure and on how you would have to fine tune your machine in order to use the full benefits. Manufacturing processes are plus and minus tolerances. Prolly why I check lash and compression checks after break ins. For the record, I am not out there for mileage just want to get things to go faster and hopefully efficient at the same time.

On the other hand, I have seen engines that died premature deaths because of carbon build-up on the valves and on piston crowns; carbon build-up resulting from over-rich conditions. And every aftermarket jet-kit essentially solves any aftermarket-induced carburetion problems by simply throwing a richer mixture at them.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hey guys...yet another newbie question..

Yes, the (superior) stock exhaust does indeed have a crossover pipe, directly behind the oilpan drainbolt.

I hope I don't sound hostile, because I really do appreciate all you guys who put the loudest possible aftermarket exhaust systems on your bikes.
Because police, patrolmen and troopers everywhere have been so utterly conditioned to equate noise with speed, that I never get pulled over anymore. It's true! I've ridden past speedtraps WITH THE RADAR GUN POINTED DIRECTLY AT ME while going more than 15mph over the posted speed limit, and both times the cop didn't even start his car.

If we motorcyclists were all gazelles on the Serengeti Plain, and cops were the ambush predators, (heh--Law Enforcement Officer = LEO the lion), this would be the equivalent of all you guys wearing jingling-bell collars to announce to the lion that dinner is on the way.

It's like I have a stealth bike, and I didn't even have to do a thing! [sm=smiley20.gif]

If you're ever in Carlsbad, the first pitcher's on me![sm=partyparty.gif]

'I need to see your license and registration, sir.'