HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Default HELP!

I just bought a 2002 Ninja 500R which seemed to be running great at the time. I rode it for the first two days with no problems but today when I went to start it it couldn't turn over. I have read the owners manual and tried many different things such as turning up the choke all the way, draining the carberator incase I flooded it, riped the bike apart to check the fuse but I couldn't remove the fuse as I can't get my rachet and socket in there. I can hear it trying to turn over, but as of recently im starting to hear a clicking noise opposed to the bike trying to turn over! The battery seems strong, don't think that is the problem. Any advice would really hep as my bike is laying in the back yard in peices.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP!

The only time I've ever heard the clicking noise it turned out to be a weak battery. If this is the original battery in the bike, it is probably overdue for replacement. Either way, I would spend the ~$25 to get a Battery Tender Junior to charge up this battery to make sure that's not it. A battery can ~look~ strong, judging from the dashlights, but a starter-motor requires a lot more juice.
You'll eventually use that Battery Tender again if you plan to do much more riding in your life. I live in San Diego where we can ride to work almost every day, we never have to winterize our bikes, but I ~still~ have to pull out the Tender now and then for one of my bikes.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-Chris in Carlsbad

Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

P.S. If you charge the battery and it does the same thing (starts fine immediately after charging, but won't do it two days later; you'll need to replace the battery. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Also check your battery connections, if one is loose it may cause the same problem

Old 05-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Check the water level in the battery. Mine ran "dry" in 1 year. If needed, add only distilled water (buy at grocery store). Then charge on slow charger. Cheapest charger is at Wal-Mart in the battery section ($18).

Old 05-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

battery tender [sm=icon_rock.gif]