helmet selection

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Default helmet selection

hi everyone. I need a very good and safe helmet. I've been riding for 1 week with my ninja 500. Its a sweet ride and i love it. Well back to the topic. I have to choose a helmet soon because cycledepote.com, located in egale rock, los angeles california will give me discount if a friend and me ordor from them. They are really nice ppl and will definitly shop there again. About me, i'm 5'10 1/2 and weight 240. I guess you can say i have a pretty big head.
I already know what to feel for in a helmet for comfort and snug. I don't know what to look for in cases such as weight, vent, wind noise, and material (like when u fall, will the outside plastic break?, etc) As of now i'm leaning towards a Icon legionl. I like the vent, design, and silver color (i looks more white then silver IMO).

Any info you give me will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. can u guys tell me what helmet you have.

Thanks in advance. RSD

Old 07-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Default RE: helmet selection

majority of all the helmets are d.o.t. approved, it will mainly result in what you can afford. basically shoei, icon, arai, and some others are your costly and very well built and well vented but like the, scorpion, kbc, hjc are a little more affordable but will do the same job, your choice really will depend on the style, design, and cost. at tleast thats what i think... I have a kbc, and a scorpion looking to upgrade later to either a icon or shoei because i like the designs they match my bike with the color coordinations.

good luck and welcome to the 500 forum...ride safe, so you can ride tomorrow.....

Old 07-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Just get something that fits you well and is comfortable. Nothing worse than an ill fitting helmet. Personally I have a Shark helmet, it is DOT and ECE approved. It fits me real well and the ventilation is good. I like it!

Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have year old Aria RX-7, http://www.araiamericas.com/Product_Tour.html, the link is to the new RX-7.
Aria is light and has fantastic ventilation, very important for warm weather riding and cold as well. You have to have good air flow through the helmet to keep your head from baking. When cold you need good airflow over the shield to prevent fogging. The helmet is noisy though.

For Street ridding I wear the Schuberth S1 http://www.schuberth.com/s1/index3.htm. This helmet has even better airflow then the Aria but is at least 50% quieter. It has a built in sunscreen that is retractable, I do not like wearing my sun glasses with my helmet. The Face shield is 2.5 x thicker and the clarity is perfect. The aerodynamics are great as well, I rode at 100 with an older bell helmet and it was harder to keep my head up and stable, with the S1 it was easier to keep my head stable and also when you turned your head to check your mirror or the blind spot it was effortlessly.

Get a helmet with as many features as you can shell out for, some may say that a 100.00 helmet will protect you just as well as a 600.00 one and they are right, there are studies that prove it. But if your ride a lot the extra features help a lot with comfort and fatigue which are two things that will affect your ridding and decision making process.

Last thing, all manufactures recommend replacing helmets after being damaged or down. Even if the hit looks cosmetically not to bad on the outside the important part inside has suffered some damage and will no longer protect as well against impact.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an icon mainframe halo, and the exo scorpion 700 helmet. The scorpion in my opinion feels a little more comfy, and the windscreen doesn't fog up. However the icon mainframe has better visor ratcheting compared to the scorpion. (you can open the visor a very small amount for just the right amount of airflow) But the icon helmet does not come anti-fog treated, scorpion does. Both of them are very nice, I bought them for around $170 each.