First Ride, Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Default First Ride, Need some advice

Alright so this is my first bike and I am very new to this whole thing, I took my first ride today, was SOOO fun, but I just had a few questions.

1. I just drove around the city at like 35MPH and I'm just wondering what RPM I should keep the bike at for crusin around town, I know alot of it is personal opinion but I was just wondering what you guys think. Also what RPM to shift at if your just cruisin not trying to push the bike or anything.

2. I killed the bike a few time going from stop to first just cause Im new to the whole thing about clutch and how much power to give it, ect. So im wondering if Im doing any damage to the bike im starting to get ahold of the whole thing its just different. When its about to die cause I dont give it alot of power it jerks and feels horrible for the bike, what kind of damage am I doing to the clutch, ect. the bike has just over 3K miles so its in pretty good shape. Also what RPM do you guys go from stop to first in while letting out the clutch, I used to drive a manual car and you were supposed to let the clutch out while mantaning about 900-1200RPM for starting. What about bikes?

Thanks any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

-James

Last edited by JamDemos; 03-18-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

I normally go by the tone of the bike, since I have more than one ride, I do not pay attention to the tach. Yeah, that lurching is nasty. Not really on the clutch but on the chain, sprockets and cush drive mainly. Speaking of that, is the chain and sprockets in good condition? adjusted and lubed properly?

Get comfy with your new toy and enjoy it. Try not to lug the engine in town, stay in a good mode so that if you have to accelerate quickly to prevent an accident, whatever, then you are in that range. I have not cruised the 500 much to tell you an rpm range that I prefer. It is not high though.