FIRE FROM THE PIPE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Default FIRE FROM THE PIPE!

Hi pals, here´s the thing.. now im customizing a little kawi 500. 2006 ; its almost new but the sound of the scapes definitely not covers the spectations (if u know what i mean). The owner of the bike put it a new scape but he says it sound bad also.. (i hadnt seen tha bike yet with the other scape he put)

For some reason this pipe bike sounds like popcorn is cooking someitmes like pOCK poCk!.. at the scape.. like old bikes.. or like when you have spark plug problems..

but this one hasnt.. it came with this sound.. When decelerate.. why this bikes has this sound?!!?

SO the problem now is this.. now the bike has an Vance hines Pipe, but the !POck! sound increased too much!.. and also its sending fire! on the pipe!

why it happens?

how can i solve this problem??

I ´ll wait for your posts
THANKS!

ps: scuse me 4 mi English

Old 11-14-2006, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: FIRE FROM THE PIPE!

Did the carbs get re-jetted after putting on the new pipes?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hola Santiago.
Assuming "scape" = exhaust system, you can solve this problem by asking the previous owner what changes he made to the jetting, and quickly undo them and return the bike as close as possible to the original stock settings.
And if the bike were mine, I'd put the stock exhaust back on. (But that's admittedly just a personal preference.)

The reason the exhaust is popping on deceleration is because fuel-air mixture that is not being combusted in your chambers is escaping into your exhaust and being combusted in there! Your header and muffler is a terrible place to combust this, because it is doing nothing to propel neither you nor the motorcycle forward any faster.
There are several reasons why this fuel-air mixture is making it unburnt to your exhaust system, but the most likely one is that this machine is running too rich. Have you looked at your spark plugs? I'll bet they are black or dark brown. You want your spark plugs to be tan, or slightly tan-gray.

In the exhaust ports, there are fresh-air inlets that allow cool, fresh air filtered from the airbox into your exhaust system.

Here is the piping that leads from the airbox to these exhaust port inlets.

This is an ingenious method of reducing emissions, because allowing fresh air in at the exhaust ports allows any unburnt fluorocarbons to combine (i.e. oxydize (i.e. combust)) with that fresh air to form less harmful carbon-monoxide. If those fluorocarbons make it out the tailpipe, they cool and stabilize and leave a long-standing billow of poisonous toxins in your wake. Carbon monoxide is also poisonous, but at least it more readily combines with oxygen molecules to form carbon dioxide, which is actually what plants breath (and what we exhale.) The unburnt fluorocarbons, OTOH, are longer-lasting and more malevolent to living things like humans and plants. BUT, when the bike is running rich or the flapper valves are sticking, this oxydization occurs irregularly and results in uneven combustion in your exhaust system--pop.
Mr Kawasaki knows a helluva lot more about make engines run more efficiently, last longer and pollute less than Mr. Vance and Mr. Hines. That's why I like to keep the stock mufflers on all of my motorcycles.

If you want more power, sell this one and get bike with a larger engine.

Peace!
-CCinC

Old 11-15-2006, 02:52 AM

Thanks a lot for your lecture pal, i reade very carefully and im agree in most thing with you. well you see the bike is not mine.. the owner got those pipes.. because the sound of the origynall its really bad.. and im agrre with him in thAt.. is not a Kawasaki Should be sound..

So well the problem is that he Already got this pipes and instelled them.. Can u explian me hou could i reduce the Rich mixture?.. i mean.. i get smaller chiglor , which helped a lot.. but not at all..-.. but the number of spins you recommend me for altitude??.. we live in Quito wich is very high about 3000 mts (meters) of altitude.

I dont know if i should give more spins, half spins or complete spins, (to the needle screw) to get more air and make better combustion.. or less spins te decrease the combustion.. im not sure.. what you recommend? what is the Kawaski standard for high altitudes?

Should i get coldest Spark plugs? or hotter spark plugs?..
thanks man.. i really apreciate an expert help.

Regrads

Santiago

ps: as alwyas sorry if my English is not completely clear.

ill wait for your post..