Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Default Crankshaft

Like most of you guys I tinker with my 500 for more pony's. I went ahead and removed the duel exhaust and installed a single pipe (Muzzy), rejeted the carbs, removed the old air box and replaced it with K&N airfilter cones, and last but not least added a 5 Degree advancer on the crankshaft. Now they tell me that the math for the engine is all it can do. I was thinking of changing out thecrankshaft for more torque. What do you guys think?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Crankshaft

Sounds like this will be a spendy 500cc EX for ya in the end. Good learning, I am sure. Hope the time and $ in the end meets your expectations.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

wow thats alot of money and time spent on this little 500...to quote what i would call a friends advice......"the only way to really get more power is to buy a more powerful bike. And if you want to lighten your pony's load, take a laxative the night before your ride.

The life, she is funny...

Peace!
-CCinC "

heres a link for ya in case..... https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_215628/tm.htm good luck

Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hee hee, Iroc called me a friend. I am delighted in a very real, very non-gay way.
What kind of crankshaft will give us more torque? And where do you live, Whipsaw? I live in Carlsbad, about 45 minutes north of San Diego. We have some stupendous deserted desert roads to our east where we could have side-by-side comparisons: drag-races, roll-on tests, and top-end testing. I'd earnestly like to prove that these modifications are worth it with my bone-stock '06 500R (except for the suspension.)
After going to all this trouble, you might have the hottest 500 in the neighborhood, BUT the guys who wear penny-loafers and ride on lowly stock Katana 600s will still roost away from us at their whim. (I don't write the laws of physics, I just grudgingly follow 'em.)
Sorry for being a wet-towel, but you did ask us what we think. Lunch is on me if you can make it for a ride (you too Iroc.)
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 PM

The money I spent on my ninja goes all the way back to 98. So that money was spent a long time ago. I would love to buy a new bike like a 6 or 9R but I can't. I do my own engine work so it won't cost me to much on labor. I had seen guys on the motocross circuit adjusting flywheels to thier dirtbikes, thought the same principle might apply. calamarichrisI live Texas by the way. I have the bike torn apart right now to make adjustments. My top speed is 135mph before it was at 124 to 127. So it kind of made a difference, but your right I'll still get smoked....

Old 11-11-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

chris...dont think ill turn down a free lunch

plus ill get me a valve job while im there lol since ur step by step process is incomplete (just messing w/ ya in a very non gay way lol)

im still on the fence about gettin a bigger bike atm...i really want something bigger (600) but still not sure if i wanna let go of the 500...i'd really b crossin the line im currently lookin at a 05 cbr 600....

Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

as on most (all?) bikes, the stock speedo is horribly inaccurate. especially at higher speeds.

i would be very interested to see a dyno chart of your setup

Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

found this online. id like to see a comparo of this vs speedo reading vs GPS reading. id do it but its like 20 degrees outside today, and i dont have a stock speedo.

HOW TO CALCULATE TOP SPEED FROM YOUR TACH:
Since tachometers are more likely than speedometers to be accurate (since they're electronic, not mechanical) you can calculate your speed at top RPM:

On flat level pavement, mark the tire with a piece of chalk and mark the pavement at that point. Roll the bike forward until the chalk line on the tire comes around again. Measure this distance-it's one tire circumference. It ought to be around 3 times the diameter---With the 150/80-16 on my rear wheel, it's 76.4 inches (6.37 feet).

Then use gear ratio & final drive ratio to get speed.

If you're running 23/61 primary drive ratio (old style ex, I think), a 16/42 final drive (selectable via sprockets), with a 27/23 top gear (again, std. old-ex), you get:

(10,000 engine revolutions/minute)*((27/23)*(16/42)*(23/61) tire revs per engine rev)* (6.37 feet / tire rev)* (1 mile/ 5280 feet)*(60 minutes/hour)= 122 MPH.
here is a little chart the guy made too:

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My ZX9R is always within 2 miles of being accurate, per Garmin GPSMap 60. When the rear tire starts to wear, it will get slightly ambitious. My secret? A ZX10R front sprocket (which is one-tooth larger.) It reduces the bike's snappy acceleration a little bit, but renders better mileage, lower highway RPM and of course a more accurate speedo.
Peace!
-CCiNC

Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Plus, the rubber diaphram on the zzr f/s makes it quieter. Off topic. You running a 17 tooth f/s chris?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft