Cold Weather Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold Weather Problems

heh, the only book I have on the subject is "The Illustrated Guide To Aerodynamics" 2nd edition by H.C. "Skip" Smith. It was a required book for my flight course but was never referenced during the class. Unlike many college courses, the flight courses here rely primarily on in class discussion instead of outside reading. This was actually the first time I ever opened it. Seems to be alot of good info but deals almost exclusively with the wing and how it works and how engines produce thrust and only touches on supersonic and hypersonic flight. Its a great book if you want to know how airplanes work but I could explain most of that in an hour without the 400 pages of detail. But I believe you are looking for something more on the design aspect of aerodynamics and how designers increase efficiency rather than how airfoils produce lift on an operational level, and I cant help ya there. 3 years of college and all I could tell you is why golf ***** have dimples, horay for higher education

Edit: The only thing i found about resonator bottles is that (this is how I interpreted it, your engine knowledge is beyond mine) after the the cylinder draws in the air and the intake valves close the air in the intake can move backward through the carburator before being drawn back in on the next stroke causing the air to be over rich therefore reducing torque. I dont know where it is placed but i assume it is on the intake between the carb and the cylinders giving a place for the backpressure to resonate without returning through the carb, but I'm not the one to ask, and google isnt helping.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

In higher-education's defense, aerodynamics really is black-magic. Did you have to take any courses about Chaos Theory? That stuff sounds nightmarishly hard.

I'm more interested in the drag-minimizing aspects of aerodynamics. Perhaps for slow vehicles like ours, fairings serve no real purpose? I really REALLY like the way the Hayabusa looks, especially compared to the Stealth-bomber hard edges that all of the sport bikes are assuming, but who needs a 1300cc engine or a bike that will do 100mph in first gear when the speed limit is 65?
My dream bike would be an EX500 with shim-under-bucket valves and the scaled-down bodywork of the Hayabusa. But the kids who buy motorcycles all want to be fighter-jockeys, so all the bikes look like stealth-bombers. I heard someone call it the "Eye-Abuser."

Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok google finally helped a little. Ducati Enthusiast
There is only about a paragraph on resonators but there is alot of good info regardless.

As for fairings the main thing to remember is that the engine not only has to move the bike but also the high pressure air that builds up in front of the bike. The more streamlining you do the more of that high pressure air you can move out of the way. Think of it as a cone in front of the bike, the faster you go the less air can get out of the way before you get there, and if it cant get out of the way you have to push it with you. The engine pushes the bike and everything inside the cone in front of the bike and the smaller you can make that cone the less drag you have. As with the golfball dimples i mentioned above, high pressure air builds up in front of the golfball, and there is not much you can do to streamline a ball. But as it spins the high pressure air goes into the dimples and is moved out of the way, thus reducing the amount of air in front of the ball that must be carried with it, reducing drag and increasing distance. I dont know if that clarified anything of if i was just rambling too long, but the point is the less baggage you bring with you the faster you go. Comparing sportbikes to naked bikes, I would bet there is a substantial reduction in drag even at 65. Just sticking your hand out in the wind shows there is alot of drag at that speed that can easily be reduced just by streamlining our hand.

I dont know if that went anywhere at all[>:]