Cold Weather Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Cold Weather Problems

There isn't ice on the road yet. I have had problems with the temp guage going below the black mark on the temp gauge, and then the engine stalling at stops when pulling in the clutch. I've replaced the thermostat, made an enclosure for the lower cowling, so the wind won't cool the engine and turned the idle up to 2k. So it's 35 degrees out and the bike runs great, until I pull in the clutch to down shift at a stop and then it dies. The bike is new and I've only touched the idle adjustment. The dealers service manager says that thats the way it is, the bike wasn't designed to run at that temprature, problems started in the low 40's. Is it time to park the bike or is there something wlse I should be looking at? And to think I just bout some Held Icebreaker gloves too.......[:@]

Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold Weather Problems

I have been riding both my bikes even when the outside temps go below 30F. The 250R has a similar engine design as your 500, and I have never had problems with it not running in the cold. You definitely have to choke the engine for a minute or two, but it stays running no matter what.

There's nothing wrong about adjusting your idle up a little. If Kawasaki didn't want you to ever mess with it, they wouldn't put the adjustment **** in easy reach for you. My advice is to up the idle sightly until you get it runs good.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

How long are these rides you're doing? If you're doing lots of short spurts and using the choke to start the engine, this may be fouling the plugs, which would cause the poor running. Try to ride it at least 10 miles at 50+ sustained. As long as you're not abbreviating your rides and overusing the choke, cold weather should not be a factor at all.
In fact, whenever I've ridden in weather that cold, my bikes have always seemed to run really happy! The only problem I ran into was reawakening the frostbite injuries on my hands.
Ride safe!
-CCinC

Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

My commute is 40 miles. All of the test rides were over 20 miles. Maybe I have already fouled the plugs? It runs great though while going down the road. I'll pick up a couple tomorrow and see what the ones in the bike look like.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Riding it 20 miles with the choke disengaged (with the lever back to the forward position) should be enough to clear the plugs.
Are you certain it is the cold weather causing this? Was the bike ever in storage? Did you buy it used?
The three problems that first come to mind when a bike will run, but won't idle properly are:

~An over-rich condition brought on by someone making changes to the carburetors (i.e jet kit, float level or idle screw)
~Carburetors being out of synchronization
~Crud in the carbs (i.e. rust from the tank or varnish from old gasoline in the pilot jets)

You mentioned a dealership manager. Did you buy this bike new or used from a dealership?

Peace.
-CCinC

Old 11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mugwump

There isn't ice on the road yet. I have had problems with the temp guage going below the black mark on the temp gauge, and then the engine stalling at stops when pulling in the clutch. I've replaced the thermostat, made an enclosure for the lower cowling, so the wind won't cool the engine and turned the idle up to 2k. So it's 35 degrees out and the bike runs great, until I pull in the clutch to down shift at a stop and then it dies. The bike is new and I've only touched the idle adjustment. The dealers service manager says that thats the way it is, the bike wasn't designed to run at that temprature, problems started in the low 40's. Is it time to park the bike or is there something wlse I should be looking at? And to think I just bout some Held Icebreaker gloves too.......[:@]
Call me crazy but that sounds like he just doesn't want to do any warranty work.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm crazy too then, because I was thinking the same thing. Or if Mugwump bought the bike used from this guy, he's concealing the fact that he maybe sold a lemon?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Starter lockout switch or the connection?

I call BS to what the service manager mentioned.

The three problems that first come to mind when a bike will run, but won't idle properly are:

~An over-rich condition brought on by someone making changes to the carburetors (i.e jet kit, float level or idle screw)
~Carburetors being out of synchronization
~Crud in the carbs (i.e. rust from the tank or varnish from old gasoline in the pilot jets)
I would like to add "Water in the bowls" to this list with the Crud in the carbs section.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally had some time before it got dark and wasn't raining or snowing. Checked fuel filter and some other stuff. Sure enough, somewhere along the line of the thermostat and all that followed I had fouled the plugs. Put in some new ones, recommended in the owners manual for cold weather and by the parts guy. Got everything back together as it turned dark. Went for a ride. It's in the 30's. between the new plugs, new thermostat and blocking off the cowl below the radiator, the temp gauge stayed aprox 1/8" above the black mark on the temp gauge, at interstate speed. Had to check to make sure it was my bike, I think it likes cold air now, felt like more torque. I'll see how it goes on the commute in the am.

Between actually getting to look under the fairing now and looking at the manual this thing should love the cold. There are coolant hoses running up to the intake!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

every engine loves cold air, as long as it can maintain a good operating temp. Of course starting gets kinda hard in the -10s and -20s.... not looking forward to -40 this winter [&o]

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Problems