Broken shifter bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Default Broken shifter bolt

So anyway I was shifting down into first as I came to a stop sign leaving my friends and the back bolt which holds the shifter peg in sheered (??) itself off, at first I thought I merely knocked it off b/c it slowly vibrated off, this has happened once in the past so I check it now.

Unfortunately its broken right at the tip and the rest of the bolt is screwed in. I have already talked to a few friends so I know where to buy the kit to drill in and get it out, and Im going by the dealership to get a new bolt tomorrow, even if they have to order it for me.

Has this bolt ever broken (sheered off) like this for any of you? Im wondering if maybe Im too rough or maybe it was just a bad piece of **** cheap *** piece of metal.

Thanks, Jamie.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Default RE: Broken shifter bolt

No I've never seen the problem you're talking about... maybe youre too rough -=) -- I did bend my rear brake lever in towards the crank casing though and it rubs now, I tried to bend it back but couldn't. I'll be replacing it this spring.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

After about 70,000 miles on 3 different EX500's, I've never had a broken shifter bolt.
Stomping on the lever or allowing this bolt to be slightly loose could cause a failure though.
If you haven't already ordered the replacement bolt, I've got a spare you can have for free, just email me a postal address and I'll get it on the way.

Peace!
-Chris in Carlsbad, CA

Old 03-09-2007, 01:11 AM

I got it ordered today, but I do appreciate the offer. My brother thought the same thing you did, that it possibly worked its way just a little loose.

Would you suggest a little medium strength lock tite? I have some already and have considered doing it before this happened. Thanks man, Jamie.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Medium-strength would be fine, but the important thing is to torque it properly.
Do you have the service manual?
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-Chris in Carlsbad, CA

Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, interesting problem, the hardest part would be getting the old bolt out, did you have any problems with that?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 AM

my brother has the equipment and knows how to do it, so saturday morning we should get the old bolt out, the new one probably will not be in until next week........

I dont know much about torque wrenches and whatever, educate me with a simple version and what might be a good kit, or brand to buy. I hear you guys mention them all the time, and I understand the concept, that it gets set to a certain strength and when you hit it the wrench just keeps passing by it right? so that way you've reached the proper torque?

I think I understand but i might be communicating it poorly.

Thanks, Jamie

Old 03-09-2007, 10:10 PM
GC
1st Gear Member

I have a Sears Craftsman:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfni.0
Very easy to use. You just dial in the torque setting you want and start wrenching.... You'll hear/feel a very positive "Click" when you hit the desired torque...and then you are done.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 AM

Shifting into 6th gear on the highway two seasons ago, my shifter bolt broke so I know how you feel. It wasn't hard at all to remove, just drill a hole and use an easy-out and it comes right out.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 AM

I got my new bolt on and its running good, I just really hope it doesnt happen again. I went ahead and bought a spare when I ordered the new bolts. I have it tightened all the way in and with the medium strength thread lock.

With the design of this shoulder bolt ( the shifter bolt) it appears that it should be able to be tightened all the way in and have no problem with the movement for shifting gears. So far I havent noticed any issues and its been about 100 miles.

Thanks guys, John

Quick Reply: Broken shifter bolt