Brake Pads.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:53 AM
GC
1st Gear Member
Default Brake Pads.....

So I've been looking for some replacement high-performance brake pads for the front. The stock pads are a little spongy for my taste.Goodmetallic pads made all the difference in the world on myMustang. I would imagine the same would be true for motorcycles. I see EBC brake pads quite a bit on the retail sites. Anyone have experience with those?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2007, 08:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Brake Pads.....

I installed EBC brakes on my 750, and have been very happy with them. I would recommend buying stainless braided brake lines if you feel your brakes are too spongy. A lot of the spongy-ness comes from your lines expanding when you brake.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Stainless lines and SBS pads on my zx7 with good results. They both (lines and pads) will generally make a noticable difference.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

+1^
I've tried EBC and other pads on a variety of different bikes, and they really don't make much difference compared to aftermarket lines.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:58 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks everyone for the advice. Iguess I'll change the pads and the lines at the same time. Probably not going to tackle this right away but I'll add it to the project list.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Try swapping the brake lines, then take it for a test-ride.
Then swap the brake pads...
Except for the exotic, fighter-jet carbon-carbon stuff the GP riders were using (which required covers to keep them at the high operating temperature that makes them utterly unfeasible for we riders of public-roads) there are no terrific gains to be had with alternate pad material.
Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-Chris in C'bad

Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, do the lines first.

Depending on where you live, you may have an automotive brake specialty shop that could make the steel braided lines for a fraction of the cost over buying bike make/model specific online, or at your local bike shop. The quality should be the same too.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
GC
1st Gear Member

Ok quick follow up question, for those that did your brake lines...did you do the rearline as well? I'm thinking that it's not really that necessary since obviously 80% (maybe more) of your braking is from the front brake. I've always been one of those advocates/users of the rear brake, but I don't have an issue with it not having quite the "grab" that the front does. Thoughts?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Better to have a slightly spongey, more forgiving rear brake, IMO. The rear brake is easier to lock up both because it has less weight (and therefore friction) AND because we upright apes have more coordination and sensitivity in our front paws (hands) than we do in our clumsier/sturdier feet.
As lousy as I play the guitar, I suck even worse when I try to hold the pick between my toes.
There is nearly no advantage to having a stainless/braided rear brake line IMO.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-Chris in C'bad

Old 04-25-2007, 08:46 PM
GC
1st Gear Member

Great, I think I'll limit my work to the front then. I had the same thought, "why would I want to increase the chance of a rear lockup.....?"

Thanks

Quick Reply: Brake Pads.....