another tank of gas, a new problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default another tank of gas, a new problem

today i shut off my bike at a friends house, after like idk...5 minutes or so i walked out to see a puddle of gas under the bike. we took the tank off checked a few things, tapped the bottom of the carbs, everything seemed ok then i got home 10 minutes later and walked outside to check and sure enought there was a puddle of gas under the bike again, so i shut the gas off drove around the house til it finally died then parked it, 1/2 hour later no puddles....any ideas...?

Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: another tank of gas, a new problem

Floats or seats are causing ya issues most likely. Could be a bad hose connection or hose though.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:51 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

With only the scant information given, three things spring to mind:
~Is there a chance you might have overfilled the tank? Some guys like to put their bike on the centerstand when they fill up and then they fill it up to the neck. Leave the bike on the sidestand and don't fill it up all the way.
~Are the float-drains closed all the way? Have you or anyone else done any maintenance to the carburetors? If so, were these drain screws closed back up completely?
~Check your coolant level! Hot coolant can have a volatile petroleum smell that will make you think it's gasoline. Check the coolant levels in your remote reservoir and in your radiator (when the engine is cold of course.)

There are a few other possibilities, but based on the info you've given so far, those are the first three things I'd consider.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 09-16-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

~Are the float-drains closed all the way? Have you or anyone else done any maintenance to the carburetors? If so, were these drain screws closed back up completely?
hahaha, iroc mentioned that he tapped on them. But you are correct. Need more info! Thanks iroc

Old 09-16-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

calamarichris..

i ALWAYS fill the bike on the side stand (we had this talk b4:P)
i have never done anything to the carbs...yep nothin ever(o wait i did drain the carb bowls a couple times, but did reclose them..does that count?)
coolant lvl was fine....does coolant burn?

dragone#19

i did rev the bike kinda high b4 i shut it off(as in like 6k high)

o and the gas was comin out of the drain hose from the airbox...idk if that helps any....

Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Out of the airbox drain tube??
The only way I can imagine gas getting into your airbox is possibly if a float valve were stuck completely open and the fuel was trickling back there into it. How long did the bike sit before you noticed the fuel leak?
Have you ridden your bike since then? If so (and your bike appears to be running otherwise normally), how long does it take for the leak to start?
You can check this by affixing a clean vinyl hose to each float drain, then loosening the drain screw. If the float level is ricidulously high on either carb, it is probably a float valve stuck open.
AND if it turns out to be this, keep a close eye on your oil level. A stuck float valve can trickle raw fuel into your cylinders, then eventually trickling past your piston rings, fouling your oil and causing ugliness to your engine.
Good luck and keep us abreast (or two.)
Peace!
-CCinC

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1^

Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

the bike took 5 minutes for the puddle to appear...i have rode the bike today 70 miles stoppin periodically and checkin for fuel drippin...and nothin yet so hopefully it was a fluke float ...will keep an eye out ...dont want any extra ugliness

Old 09-17-2007, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

That's a hopeful probability. If some little spec of cr@p got wedged between the sealing points in your float valve, it could conceivably get rinsed or jarred out. In January of '06 I had a similar problem with my '02, and it turned out to be this little spec of rubber from the withered, cracking rubber fuel line:

(It looks formidable because I used the macro function on my digital camera, but it was about the breadth of a sewing needle.) I bought the bike with 202 miles on it from a Harley dealership in '04--the bike had sat for a few years in the dealership, the hoses decayed (with a little help from the stagnant fuel left in them.) There was no sign of the oil being fouled by gasoline, but I changed it just in case to be sure. (A gallon of oil and a filter costs a damn-site less than a new engine.)

And to answer your question about coolant burning--no, it's not flammable, but it will evaporate quickly and some brands (like Spectro) smell faintly like gasoline IMO when they evaporate.)
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Peace!
-CCinC