Your Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Default Your Opinions Please

Hey everyone my name is Jason and I am 17 years old. Just graduated and will be attending Gonzaga University!
I have worked two jobs since I turned 16 and just as soon as the money gets in your account its gone...anyways
I am a new member and I will be in the Seattle, WA and Spokane area. Now to get down to business, of course I
will take the MSF course. I am interested in purchasing my first bike either an older gen. ninja or a used 08. Most
likely this will take place next winter so the demand of the 08's are met and or not as high. So that will be late 2009
to early 2010. If any of you know any ninja 250r's for sale in my area feel free to toss me a bone. Safety is my most
important priority and most likely my gear will cost as much as my bike!

Please rate and or suggest other options for my initial gear I have listed below

1. Riding Suit - Aerostich Roadcrafter 1 - piece ($797.00)
2. Helmet - Shoei TZ-R Lance ($375.95) or Shoei RF-1000 Caster ($427.95)
3. Boots - Sidi B-2's ($235.00) or Sidi Vertigo's ($300.00)
4. Gloves - HELD Nero's ($159.95)
5. Knee Sliders - Klucky Pucks ($39.95)
6. Back Protector - Knox Contour ($224.95)

Grand Total: Low End = $1832.80 High End = $1949.80

Does anyone have any experience with either of the helmets or the boots? Thank you for all your time now I'll shut up

Old 06-28-2008, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Your Opinions Please

That's a lot of money for gear all at once. Go easy and shop wisely. I suggest looking at the closeout specialsat www.newenough.com to start. I've been back on the street riding since 2000 and haven't spent that much money. Good luck on getting the 250R and the gear....and you made a good move in deciding totake the MSF course. Oh, and save the money on the knee sliders....that will come a little while later. [8D]

Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

My advice is bigger price tag doesn't always mean better gear. Sometimes you're just paying for a name after a point. I would suggest trying on the gear before you decide on what to get. There's a chance you might not fit those helmets right because of the shape of your head versus the shape of the helmet. I know when I went to go try on helmets I found several that were the right size but the way they fit was too painful for my head to wear. Finally found one from AFX at the shop that fit perfectly and it was only like $140 or so. Any helmet that has the DOT and Snell stickers on them will work just fine as long as it fits properly. You won't need the knee sliders right now, and possibly not ever. They're meant mostly for track riding when you'll REALLY be leaning the bike down. I would suggest look around, go to the site tommy mentioned and definately go to a m/c shop to try the gear on before you put any money down on it. Motorcycle gear fits differently then most clothes and you might get the wrong size.

It's also good that you're taking the MSF course as well. I'm doing that now and today we did our first ride day and let me tell you it teaches you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much you don't know you didn't know about riding. I'd say it's like 1000x better to learn in a controled environment with a coach in the MSF then fumbling through it on your own on the street. I would also say get low cost gear for now (simple helmet that fits right, a decent jacket perhaps, and inexpensive gloves, any over the ankle boot will do) just to take the course and get the feel for the bikes. Then once you pass and get your own bike then go out and get the gear you really want.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

That's all great quality stuff. May I suggest that you check out the Scorpion line of helmets. They are both Snell and DOT approved and you can get them super cheap at www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Helmet fit is ALL OVER the map, spend a couple days and try out as many as you can find. Just because they are cheap or expensive is no guarantee of a good fit, which is the most important part. It's great that you are thinking this far ahead with the gear, I was in shock after spending a couple paychecks for gear for my wife and I, lol.

Both gen's of bikes are sweet - good luck with your choice. I love my 2002, but would gladly trade someone even-up for a green '08.

scootertrog

Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Well as far as gear goes, i think your getting a rich there if you take my meaning. I ride in Joe Rocket Alter Ego gear. Its great, has a removable shell for when its hot and a removable rain liner. Also all put together its plenty warm (i have been out in snow and not been cold). Also its vary stout, ive been down a few times and this stuff holds up great. It can be had for $500 for the top and $200 for the pants if i remeber right. As far as a helmet goes, i ride with an HJC CL seiries helmet. They range from $120-$160, i was wearing one when i slid off a road and bounced my head off a concrete barrier. I was fine, helmet not so much but it did its job perfectly. For gloves i wear Alpine Stars SP2s, they are great and can be had for around $80. I wont wear a set of gloves that dosnt have hard knuckle protectors and isnt a gauntlet style glove. Again when i whent down the first time i had half gloves on. The sleeve of my jacket was pulled up and my wrist was perty bad becouse of that. But i did have hard knuckle protectors and they got shaved down perty good, so they do help alot. I dont wear riding boots, i just have a set of heavy work boots i wear. Anyway check out Denniskirk.com, thats were i bought all my gear from. And lastly when you hit Spokane let me know, thats were im at.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Newenough.com has some great buys, I am on there often.

Agreed, with above. Get long gloves, because your jacket does ride up your arm, you dont want bare skin exposed in a slide.

I second the motion of being very happy with a HJC helmet. Mine proved to hold up well so I got another.

I wear a Textile jacket, I find them more comfy when riding then leather. They work well for that one wreck but then you buy new. I'm someone that wont ride with something that isnt perfect, so I never spent the money on leather, if I scuffed it I'd still replace it.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I just want to make sure I'm doing my body justice ya know? I'll check out HJC and Shark as well for the helmets. I know for sure I'll have to wear an XL. But for sure Dillon I'll hit you up I will be is Spokompton lol late August. Let me know if you see any good deals. You live there I take it yes? Not attending school for instance? I'm going to Gonzaga so yeah let me know and thank you guys/gals

Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Yup i live on the east end of of town (basicly Idaho) and im going through a tech course at the community college.