Why can't I get off the Bar ends????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry Why can't I get off the Bar ends????

I cannot get the bar ends off for the life of me. I currently have 3 Ninja 250's (2002, 2006 and 2008) and cannot remove ANY of the bar ends. It's driving me 100% mad. Its just a freaking phillips why won't any of the budge? Is there something I'm missing here? Fairy dust or something?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

dude, i have the same problem. I believe there is some rubber in there that could have "melted" on the 02 and 06 (i have an 05 and cant get then off), but the 08 should be new enough to come right off.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

There is about a gallon of red locktite on the bolt. LOL.

Seriously, Kawi puts a boat load of red locktite on the bolts. Get an impact driver or try to heat the bolts up with a soldering iron or if brave enough, a torch.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

grab the hole bar end and turn it not just the screw.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Angry

Originally Posted by hoedogg
I agree...even with an impact driver you have to really beat the hell on the phillips head screw to get it to budge. Last time I used an impact driver, my son and I alternated whacking the driver with a big hammer and when we finally got them off my old ZRX1200, the impact driver was shaped a little different on the hitting end...

Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Just use a heat gun and heat up the end, carefully. The red loctite will melt and the screw will turn right out, at least usually they do. Use enough heat that you need to wear gloves to work with the bar end, but be careful to not heat the throttle tube or any other plastic part.

scootertrog

Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
This actually makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Not sure what heat would do seeing how that is basically the point of loctitie...to hold everything together regardless of temp.

I was able to get the kickstand off fine with no issues and they DUMPED loctite all over those bolts to the point where I had to use carb cleaner to remove the goop in-order to even see the threads...Crazy!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

On my 2007, I grabbed the bar end and it just twisted around. The screw never budged. I think they welded my screws in place. (Not really..but damn, why put anything on that tight?) I ended up putting my new grips on over the ends. That was not fun.

Even the fairing screws had some sort of threadlocker on them and were VERY tight. I no longer wonder how the attachment tabs get broken off the fairings.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I failed! Twisting the bar end was worthless as it wouldn't budge even with vise grips. Tried heating the crap out of it and still nothing. Apparently these are not meant to be removed. I kinda hate Kawasaki right about now.

Need to replace the grip and clutch perch (on the 08) but that's apparently a no go!!!!
NICE

Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 AM

You can't use a screwdriver. Get a high quality phillips bit, wratchet, and another person. You need torque to get it off.

Wait untill you see how much loctite is on the screw-it's ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Why can't I get off the Bar ends????