Valve adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Default Valve adjustment

Ok, so I finally had an opportunity to check my valves, and found that every exhaust valve is too tight. I had thought I heard a ticking and apparently I found it. To anyone who has performed this job themselves, how difficult is it, is it worth it just to take it to the stealership, and is it necessary to purchase the special tool?

Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Valve adjustment

I have never done one on a 250...Somebody did one not long ago if I remember right on a 250....Might look thru the previouss posts..

Anyway, a day's project. Not sure if yours needs the tool or not. A lot of info I have...lol

It is basically the same procedure though as any of the bigger bikes out there. In the DIY section there is a write up, and in the general tech section NS did his... You might read thru both of those and still see if you want to do it. It is really not that hard to do, as long as you have an understanding of timing, and you can do basic math. More time consuming than anything else...

Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I did it just over a month ago. It was very simple. You don't have to have any special tools, just some spare time and patience. It is always recommended to sync up the carbs afterwords, so get a good sync gauge. I have the more expensive motion pro mercury gauge. (very valuable to have.)

I guess having a torque wrench is also a good idea.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

On a scale of 1 -10 I give it a 10. My mechanical abilities are shade tree at best though, if you have some mechanical abilities it me be easier for you. Also if you like to wrench go for it, get the manual and follow the procedure, it is tough though if your a fist timer. I could not get mine re-timed and ended having a mechanic do it but found out that the tensioner was the problem. Just one of those things that the experience comes in handy.
I am glad I did mine though and will do the next one as well.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:35 PM

thx for the info guys. I hope to be able to do that this friday, because naturally, when I need to do this the car is down for its own timing chain problems.[:@]

Old 09-04-2006, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

It really is straight forward on the 250 because it uses the screw type rocker adjusters.(NO SHIMS TO REPLACE!!!) Once you have the valve cover off, all you have to do is loosen the rocker nut a little, turn the screw out from inside the rocker nut, and check the clearance between the valve afterwords. You sometimes have to repeat the process on the same rocker if you either turned out the screw too much, or not enough. Your feeler gauge will tell you.

I worst part is getting access to the rockers, i.e: removing the fairing, coil packs, radiator supports, and gas tank.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: kwninja88

thx for the info guys. I hope to be able to do that this friday, because naturally, when I need to do this the car is down for its own timing chain problems.[:@]
dam timingchains [>:]

Old 09-05-2006, 04:41 AM

ORIGINAL: markmeinteil

It really is straight forward on the 250 because it uses the screw type rocker adjusters.(NO SHIMS TO REPLACE!!!) Once you have the valve cover off, all you have to do is loosen the rocker nut a little, turn the screw out from inside the rocker nut, and check the clearance between the valve afterwords. You sometimes have to repeat the process on the same rocker if you either turned out the screw too much, or not enough. Your feeler gauge will tell you.

I worst part is getting access to the rockers, i.e: removing the fairing, coil packs, radiator supports, and gas tank.
So it's not too much different than adjusting the valves on a car? Sounds pretty easy to me.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

exactly!