Trouble idling once fuel tank replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Trouble idling once fuel tank replaced

As I said previously in this topic

The 250salmost always require some choke to start when cold even in the middle of summer. Just the way it is accept it. The difference is the amount of time the choke is required.
Without the choke on they willidle like crap until the gauge comes off the second white line, for me I know I have to run choke until the second stop sign in the summer. In the winter its all the way until I get to the light.

You can not make any poor running determinations until the bike is warm. If its warm and it runs like crap then its a problem.

Pulling theEPA plugs and adjusting the idle mixture screws can help but it requires removing the carbs drilling a hole in the plugs and pulling them out. They are lean from the factory and occasionally adjusted incorrectly.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I want to update those who have read through the post. Yesterday I graduated the Mike's Famous Riders Edge beginners course (100% written test and riding test) so today I wanted to take the bike to the DMV to make it my own. Got the license endorsed, temp tags and gas. A tip from a fellow riders edge bud was to start th ebike with the tank open up top so I did that with the pitcock set to ON. Immediately I noticed the choke period and idle was a lot smoother and the bike never stalled. I rode it for about three hours today and had no issues. I'm not completely sure what the problem was but it seems to have been fixed. Here are a few points which may have led to fixing the stalling problem...

I filled the tank with more gas after noticing the length difference between reserve and full petcock filters in the tank. Maybe I was just low on gas.
(I didn't fill it much last time because I was going to remove the tank again to have it fixed)

I did dissassemble the bike further last night and may have put everything back more securely. (probably the airbox to carb. tubes were improved)

I started the bike with the tank open, then sealed it to possibly remove any air from the lines.

I ran the bike faster than 20mph (was stuck in neihborhood, maybe flushed out some dirt or something. not likely though as bike idled well before hand)

Thank you everyone for you help and advice. I learned a lot about my bike going through everyones suggestions. The only thing I didn't do was clean the carb as the in-line filter looked clean and I couldn't get the damn airbox out of the frame. I had an absolute BLAST riding today and am looking forward to a safe and fun riding experience on my bike.Next...to fix the dents in the gas tank....

Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 AM

Congrats on the 100% on the course. I took the MSF and even after having ridden for a few years it really helped with somelow speedconfidence issues.

For future reference, when you pull the carbs the air box doesnt come out you undo the bolts under the battery and slide it back then work the carbs off the box then off the engine. It really is a pain in the neck and putting them back on is an even bigger joy [:'(]

I will add some carb advice that will keep you from hopefully having to clean them, make sure you use fresh gas and always drain the float bowls if its going to sit more than 2 weeks.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Makes sense, thanks. I will do my best to remember to drain the bowls after sitting 2+ weeks but it could be a while before it sits that long and by that time I may not think of it lol. thanks again for your advice.