Trouble idling once fuel tank replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Default RE: Trouble idling once fuel tank replaced

Some info about the 250 that might be helpful. They almost always require some choke to start when cold even in the middle of summer. Just the way it is accept it. The difference is the amount of time the choke is required.

Do your running tests on reserve only. If it runs fine in reserve then the issue is the main fuel intake. Separate the tests for these issues.

Yes it can run like crap if the boots arent on correctly.

Dont use carb cleaner you put in your tank, I know of one guy that bought some at a gas station and imediatelyafterwords he had worse running issues.

Also an explanation of the proper spray carb cleaner (or any pour in cleaner for that matter), it dosnt dissolve dirt. It dissolves varnish, since it hadnt been sitting for weeks that is unlikely. However,the spraywill move the dirt particles out of the carbs. Yes they can get past the little filter in the hose which is why most run paper filters inline. get the bike running first then mess with a filter, I have created my own running issues with trying different filters.

It wont hurt it to run on reserve, you need to be very careful because reserve is actually how you keep from stranding yourself somewhere out of gas. All it is is a tube that is lower in the tank than the regular pickup, they look like straws one is taller than the other. Another thing to keep in mind is that if the previous owner never ran off reserve there can be all kinds of crap at the bottom of the tank especially water.

Another thing about the 250s, if you let them idle for a long time on choke they can foul the plugs causing another facet to running like crap. Dont worry about that now just try to not let it idle for any length of time without riding if you can help it.

Back to what I would do, drain the float bowls and a few cups off the tank. to drain the bowls put a container under the metal bowls, if you look at the bottom of the carbs from the right side of the bike you will see some allen screws that face that side, loosen the screws and gas will flow out of the bowl. its quite a few turns to get a good flow going but you dont need to remove the screw. Then just snug the screw back up. There are 2 bowls to do.
I prefer to use a longallen t-wrench from Ace Hardware, Im sorry I cant remember what size, they are metric. The wrench is under $3 definately worth it after you have tried to do it with a regular L shaped wrench.
Also give the fuel tube a good cleaning.

Look in the bottom of what you drained you should see some of the dirt from the petcock.

Keep it simple, but don't be lazy
-Marcie

Old 07-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Mine was running the same way your explaining. I pulled the plugs and checked for spark, it had spark but very weak. I bought new plugs, and it ran fine after.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 AM

His didnt start until he pulled the tank and he sat it on the ground. In general theres more issues with carbs than plugs, it can happen but not likely.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll check the plug just in case but it sounds like the carb is the issue.

I'll take a look at what it takes to clean the carbs. I have drained the bowls twice since the initial problem and haven't seen any signs of dirt but I wasn't looking very hard either. It looks like removing the carb will be a big pain in the *** but if it fixes my problem it would all be well worth it.

Thanks again for all the help!

Wish me luck!

Old 07-05-2007, 04:34 PM

I seem to be having the same problems. However, there has been no damage to my bike. It is an 07 and has 250 miles on it. I took it back to the dealership and since I'm a girl they spoke to me like I'm just plain dumb. "Is there gas in the tank? Is the gas switch on?" I'm like I just rode it up here so obviously the answer to both is YES.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:27 AM

jinh- does it do it cold or after its warmed up?

Old 07-06-2007, 02:51 AM

just cold....but the temperature outside is still like 70 degrees

Old 07-06-2007, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats similar tempsI have here in DE jinh, when my bike was working fine it never did that.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:03 AM

funny how i took my bike to the dealership and they basically said i was dumb and probably was out of gas, but my boyfriend took my bike there today and all of a sudden they think the spark plugs are bad or only one cylinder is running...so i guess i'll let you know what happens. they are suppose to call him tomorrow to let him know.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Great, thanks Jinh that info could prove useful. I actually look like I belong on a bike and could be a gearhead, though I couldn't be furthest from it, at least...yet. But everyone talks to me like I know what they are going to say before they say it. So we kindashare the opposite extremes of what happens when people assume your knowledge of something. Hope the dealership solves your problem!

Quick Reply: Trouble idling once fuel tank replaced