Thinking about getting the ninja 250r, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Default Thinking about getting the ninja 250r, need advice

What's up good people I'm new to this site, I just got my temps and am about to buy my first bike. I was thinking about getting the kawasaki ninja 250r, I think the bike looks good and the price, you can't beat 3000 for an 06.
The only thing that worries me is the guys at work(Firefighters) were telling me I shouldn't get anything smaller then a 650cc bike. They claim anything smaller is a tricked out scooter wearing sport bike cloths. I just happened to find this site( Which is great by the way) and seen that it's a section on Kawasaki Ninja 250r's. Who better to ask a question then someone who owns one. I'm 6'2 179lbs, What I want to know is weather or not I would be able to keep up with my friends(They all have 600cc to 750cc bikes) I'm not trying to race them or nothing I just want to know if I can keep up with the pack. I plain on riding mostly in my neighborhood, but if we do get on the highway will I get smoked out there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thinking about getting the ninja 250r, need advice

keeping up with 600-750's? sorry my friend, the 250r just can't. however, the 250r will beat just about any other car or truck out on the road. it's not slow at all if compared to cars and trucks. I have a kawasaki kz750 and my '06 ninja 250r, and honestly I think I have more fun with the 250r. it is so light, and can really take turns well. even if you have never ridden a bike before, i guarantee the 250r will be a piece of cake to ride! the one downside to this bike is that the stock gear ratio is very low. in other words, you will have shifted through all of your gears by the time you hit 40mph. not to say that it isn't a good highway bike, but the engine will really be screeming above 70mph.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Well you'd be able to keep up with your buddies if they respect the fact that you are a new rider and don't set a retarded pace. I wouldn't listen to them on not getting anything under 650cc's - get what you are more comfortable with. I have a 500 and I keep up with my dad's concours no problem - but then again we aren't out riding like we were on a track.

Like I said, do what you want to do and what you are comfortable with. Congrats on entering the world of two wheels - its a blast!!!!!

Old 07-03-2006, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'5' and not going to mention my weight, though it's not majorly far from yours. I have no problems keeping up on the highways. Plus just had the bike on the airport runway and opened it up, I got it to 105mph[sm=badbadbad.gif] It was so awesome. I'm really happy with this bike.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the info, I like the bike but wanted to be sure before I bought it. Have any of you rode the 250r and the 500r Kawasaki Ninjas? Is there a big difference? I almost sure I'm going to get the 250cc ninja but am curious about this. Thanks in advance

Old 07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

I have only ridden the 500 - so I can't offer any comparison between the two. All I can say is that the 500 really suits my riding habits and I love it!!!

I'm sure you will be very happy with either one!

Old 07-08-2006, 05:55 AM

I am an "old" (59) RETURNING rider. I still have my MC endorsement, but I haven't ridden in years. I bought the 250 for many reasons; and after putting 500 miles on it, I am VERY happy with my choice. You say this is your first motorcycle. Then, by all means, go with the 250. It seems like most everyone who rides something bigger feels that anything less is not a "real" motorcycle. Trust me when I say that you will find MANY 250 riders who state quite the opposite. The really GREAT thing about this bike is you can LEARN how to do things right BEFORE getting into something bigger (if you decide to do that). I have my turning technique back, and I'm getting pretty good at panic stops. I'm just starting to get smooth on my shifting, and it is so much fun to hear that engine run up in RPM and catch the next gear... through all SIX gears. Try that on a 650 and you'll be at 100mph before you can blink! On the 650 you are still "legal". The ONLY thing lacking is torque... it just is NOT possible to twist the throttle in 5th or 6th and expect any kind of blinding response. That does NOT mean that this thing is a dog... you can be up to interstate speeds faster than most cars and waaay before the end of the on-ramp, but it isn't a 1500cc "Drifter". The Ninja250 is a GREAT learning machine. I love this thing! AND I get 60-65mpg around town! Oh, and by the way... good luck finding one, now! They sell out fast right after the first motorcycle shows are over.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:14 AM

i BOUGHT MINE THREE MONTHS AGO IT RUNS FINE AT 75 OR 80 HAVE NO TROUBLE PASSING CARS

Old 07-12-2006, 01:39 AM

I'll give you a different perspective.

I'm 5'10 175

I bought my first bike 06 kawi 250 in November, by January after riding with guys who have a R6's and 636 I'm so upset that I wasted my time and money on the 250.

I Like the bike, easy to ride, learned alot about motorcycles and even experienced some close calls on the streets, I have over 2000 miles on it.

At this point however, i'm looking at other bikes for speed, acceleration and looks.

The 250 for me has a few problems, its slow. (not enough kick)

Its really light, so the wind blows you around on highways.

And it just doesn't look as tough as the other bikes.

I would advise anyone to get, at least, the 500. Its $1000 more but worth it.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bayar3a

I'll give you a different perspective.

I'm 5'10 175

I bought my first bike 06 kawi 250 in November, by January after riding with guys who have a R6's and 636 I'm so upset that I wasted my time and money on the 250.

I Like the bike, easy to ride, learned alot about motorcycles and even experienced some close calls on the streets, I have over 2000 miles on it.

At this point however, i'm looking at other bikes for speed, acceleration and looks.

The 250 for me has a few problems, its slow. (not enough kick)

Its really light, so the wind blows you around on highways.

And it just doesn't look as tough as the other bikes.

I would advise anyone to get, at least, the 500. Its $1000 more but worth it.
This is a good and honest reply and I would tend to agree. There is nothing wrong with the 250 or the 500 but if you think you are going to want to be progressing in your ridding skills and needing that extra power and speed get the bigger bike.
It all has to do with your self control; you can kill yourself on a 250 just as fast as a 636. You need to respect the bike and ride with in your limits, as your skills progress your speed and control will to. Hit it too hard with to little skills and your fireman buddies may be picking up your body off the highway and no one wants to see that happen.

Good luck with what ever bike you get, welcome to the two wheel life and KF.

BTW go and take the MSF course it is the best place to get your initial skills.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting the ninja 250r, need advice