Suggestions for cold-weather gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Default Suggestions for cold-weather gear

With mt 1st winter on a bike approaching (what passes for winter here in Richmond, Va. is cold but not much snow usually),
and since my Ninja is my daily commuter whatever the weather, I'm looking for suggestions . Thanks!

I have a Nitro Racing jacket with a zip in insert , summer mesh gloves, and AlpineStars boots.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Suggestions for cold-weather gear

When I was stationed in Virginia it snowed all the time. I wasn't too far from Richmond (Newport News). Just make sure you wear loose layers underneath your riding gear that will allow the sweat to evaporate (because if you wear too much, you will get dehydrated, and that's not fun on a bike trust me)

Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You would be surprised on how well full leathers with liner does in cold weather. You will still shiver a time or two riding in 35-40 deg temps though.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 AM

you cant beat the leathers

Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 AM

I am glad someone started this thread. I rode about 17 miles on the interstate here in JohnsonCity TN where I live tonite to meet some buddies at Pizza Hut. I have come to believe that the Ninja 250, mine at least, runs BETTER in colder weather and on the interstate. She likes to scream down the interstate at 10,000 RPMs. However, I froze my ***** off tonite. My buddy who just got back from Iraq let me borrow a military jacket that I threw on over my Kawasaki riding jacket (mesh) and it was great. Did wonders!!! kept me warm and kept the wind out. My legs froze in my jeans though. I am looking to drive and ride my 250 this winter, and wanna make sure I stay warm. Is this even possible? Should you really dress 20 degrees below the temp when you are standing next to your bike, when deciding to ride in the winter time?

Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Even in winter, there is only one way to ride...Commando.

I'm also curious of how to beat the freezing winds, first winter for me. If I find something that works I'll post about it but I'm broke so I'll most likely be of no help.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride year long from 23 degrees to 115 degrees. In the cold, my current favorite gear is the icon barrier armour pants. These pants are made for cold weather riding and have a wind breaking liner that keeps the cold air out. I definitely wouldn't ride with them if the outside temps are above 45 degrees or your legs will get really sweaty. If it goes below freezing, I also wear insulating long underwear too. Next on the list is either a scarf, or a fleece neck "sock" or tube that insulates your neck. It also doubles to keep cold wind from flowing into your jacket from the collar. (even keeps cold air from entering your helmet.) I have never had a problem with wearing my icon leather jacket in the cold. just wear a sweater underneath to insulate your body. My Sidi boots work OK for keeping my feet warm. I have very poor circulation through my hands and feet, so not even my winter boots help me very much keeping warm. Lastly, because of my poor circulation, I bought a set of gerbings G3 heated gloves last winter. Heated gear is SO AWESOME, I could never go back to riding in the cold without them. Sure, the gerbings are expensive, but well worth every penny. The heated hand grip covers are also nice, but the heated gloves do a better all around job of keeping your digits from freezing since the heat covers more area than the heated hand grips.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

layer accordingly, not excessively

Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'd love heated gloves and a vest but how hard is it to rig up the power?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Real simple. The gloves come with a harness that bolts down directly to your battery posts. All you have to do is route the wire to where ever you want it to go. In fact, Gerbings has an entire line of heated gear that all interconnects. I'm not that rich, so I'll just stick to the heated gloves at this point.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for cold-weather gear